Trulia Brook…, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn, NY

What kinds of warnings can you expect before getting an eviction notice in Brooklyn?

Asked by Trulia Brooklyn, Brooklyn, NY Tue Feb 5, 2013

An Attorney friend recently advised one of my homeowner clients who owns a 3 Family home. I remember the some of the conversation:

1. Landlord must FIRST give a 30 day written notice to vacate hand-delivered to the tenant. The thirty days begins the first day of the NEXT month after delivery.

2. If the tenant does not vacate then the landlord must go to court. For that part of the process, I have no knowledge and I'd recommend consulting with an Attorney who specializes in Landlord & Tenant issues.

I have heard also that the clerks at Landlord & Tenant Court are helpful in explaining the process to a tenant in danger of being evicted.

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
185 Great Neck Rd, Suite 240
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services

If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a "Thumbs Up." Thanks!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
You will and are required by law to get several written notices before the landlord/tenant court hearing. 311 provides resources on getting free legal and other assistance. Good luck!
usual first step is to send a letter. If no response then a tenant will be served to appear in landlord/tenant court for an eviction proceeding