Rental Basics in New York>Question Details

Amy Sherman, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

What is the best way to ask a random tenant, what they think of the apartment complex? How can one get in touch with a tenant?

Asked by Amy Sherman, Brooklyn, NY Wed Jan 30, 2013

Answers

4
Hi, the best way is after a showing in the building or even just going and waiting outside.

Chris
I would start with a doorman or building super. Neighbors - you can catch them outside after work or on the weekends and simply ask how they like living there. There are also some apartment ratings websites that may be helpful, like http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/SearchResults?query=bro…

People usually respond well to these questions, if you tell them you consider moving there.
I would say to go to the building and talk to people coming in and out. If it is not a doorman building, perhaps hang out in the lobby and talk to people. Ask them how they like living there. Tell them you are considering moving there and would appreciate their input. New Yorkers are not shy about sharing their opinions! I can say that, I'm a native New Yorker.
Pick a sunny, warm Saturday afternoon to walk around the complex. Ask people coming out of the building or hanging around a local park. Talk to local shop owners near the complex and see what they have to say. It requires a little leg work, but hey, you might make a friend or two!