Nicole H., Renter in San Francisco, CA

What is the best way for an out-of-town student to find an affordable place in the city without attending open houses everyday?

Asked by Nicole H., San Francisco, CA Tue Jul 10, 2012

My boyfriend, cat, and I need to find a place to live in the city before September.

It's a 2hr drive one way to the city and we both work, making open houses difficult if not impossible to attend. Add to that our budget of $1600/mo and the situation seems hopeless.

I've never had to deal with a market this competitive and I'm not sure how to handle it. Can someone give me some advice as to how to proceed?

Answers

4
Contact a property management company or a rental agent.

Best.

Tap
Hi Nicole,

I am a NATIVE San Franciscan and have never paid the crazy rent that many do. First of all, DO NOT contact Trinity management. Look at their yelp reviews, rumor is one of the reasons SF has rent control is because of the owner. The trick us natives use, and other smart shoppers, are in-law apartments. These are found in neighborhoods like the Sunset, Richmond, Excelsior, etc. Are these the SEXY San Francisco neighborhoods that tourists come to see? Of course not. But dive bars, easy parking and access to some of the cities best chinese restaurants does help.

Kevin

https://twitter.com/SFCondoMarket
Where in SF are you looking to live? If you aren't too picky (and frankly, you can't be in SF with that budget!), I'd look into getting a short term rental through Trinity Management. They have a couple of buildings in SOMA/Civic Center area. I lived in one for about a year and never had any issues. They might have some studios available in your price range. I don't know about pets though; that's probably going to make things even a bit more difficult.
I agree with Tap on this one. The best way in, if you don't have the time to commit to viewing things, is to go through a management company or rental agent.

I have a few I can refer you in you're in need.

Gabriel

415-562-6999
gabriel@climbsf.com