Rental Basics in Austin>Question Details

Rae Campbell, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

What is the best time to apartment hunt?

Asked by Rae Campbell, Austin, TX Tue Aug 13, 2013

I'm on a 12-month lease that doesn't expire until May 2014, but I've recently been promoted at my job and I'd like to upgrade to a place with a w/d in unit, and maybe in a slightly nicer neighborhood. I'm not planning to break my lease, but I'm curious what you would consider the "sweet spot" for apartment hunting as far as how long before the move date. Thanks!

Answers

8
We are just through the busy Summer season. It is a great time to look now. You will need to talk the the management of your current apartment. You will need to give them at least 30 days notice. Since you are breaking your lease early there will likely be penalties. I suggest that you check on that before you go looking for a new apartment. I usually get my clients in an apartment within 30 to 60 days also. Hope that helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 14, 2013
She said she wasn't planning to break her lease
Flag Tue Sep 17, 2013
Since you are not planning to break your lease will you be able or willing to pay for both apartment rental? Most people cannot afford this so you may need to start looking in April 2014.

Susie Kay
United Real Estate
469-371-2899
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net
Hi Rae,

I was an apartment locator for 4 years and I still do it along with home sales. As far as apartments go, some are on a 30-day notice while others are on a 60-day notice. I like to get people started around 45 days from their lease expiration, that way we can do a second search 30 days away if you haven't already found one you like.

I would love to help you come March 2014! If you'd like I could give you a call around that time, I would just need your contact info.

Here's how it works:

I get all of your needs/wants and put it into my apartment database so only apartments that match your criteria show up. Then, I call those apartments and get information on pricing, availability, size, amenities, etc. Once I have a few good options, I email it to you with pictures, floorplans, etc. You choose which ones you'd like to take a look at, and I'll take you there!

My services are 100% free to you!

Feel free to contact me anytime:

Roxanne Kahn
Exit One Realty
(512) 994-8254
RoxySellsAustin@gmail.com
http://www.RoxySellsAustin.com

*Also, I will give you a $50 gift card of your choice for any referrals who lease or purchase with me*
Hi Rae,

Congratulations on the promotion. Just an fyi, don't limit yourself to places that have a w/d in unit. Most places will at least have connections in the unit and you can rent w/d for about $35/mo. That may be cheaper than the higher rent you might pay to find a place with a w/d in the unit. You can even rent the nice new units.

As for timing, ideally 45-60 days out will give you the best selection. Happy to email you options though before then so you can see what is out there and start getting an idea of where you want to focus your search. Just send me an email with your criteria or give me a call. My services are free of charge.

Thanks!

Dan Burstain, Realtor
JB Goodwin Realotors
Dan@JBGoodwin.com
I agree with my realtor friends, you should start about 30- 60 days. Good luck in your hunt.
You should start looking 30-60 days before you want to move in. Most leases are on a 30-60 day notice and wont know their vacancy/availability until before then. I hope this helps. Good luck!
With the speed apartments are being leased out right now, you really shouldn't start looking until about 30 to 60 days prior to the end of your lease since you don't plan on breaking it. Looking for an apartment now is going to be a waste of time as none of those will be available next May. If you'd like a little more insight and to maybe get the ball rolling when you are ready, I have a great apartment locator, Cari Cox and you can call her at (512) 919-0041. She has helped many of my clients very successfully and knows the apartment business very well. Mention my name if you call her so she knows I sent you…

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Call 512-261-4415