Rental Basics in 01609>Question Details

Yingbrooke, Home Buyer in 01609

What if there's not enough heater in the apt?

Asked by Yingbrooke, 01609 Sun Jul 24, 2011

It is my bad I did not check if there's enough heater in the apt. There's only one gas heater in the kitchen, which will take care of the whole apt, which is also a part of stove. I do not know if you guys have seen such heater before(both a stove and heater), it is my first time seeing such thing, so I did not notice.
The apt are a two-bed apt, so it's not small. And one such heater in the kitchen is obviously not enough. Our bedrooms can not have enough heat. And we are not going to open the door while sleeping, it's silly. How can we ask the landlord to add electric heater or something to grantee the heating?
I am afraid the landlord will argue "this is the situation, but you did not notice, so it's your fault". But I am thinking it is the landlord who should take care of the heating system, right?
Thank you for the answers.

Answers

3
Landlord is required to provide heat unless the lease states tenant is responsible.

A. Heat: Failure to provide heat during seasons which require
heat. The landlord must provide and maintain a heating
system in good operating order. From September 16 to June
14, every room must be heated to at least 68 degrees between
the hours of 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. and at least 64 degrees
between the hours of 11:01 p.m. and6:59 a.m., unless the
tenant is required to supply the fuel under a written lease
agreement. During the heating season, the maximum heat
allowable is 78 degrees.
Web Reference: http://www.LouisWolfson.net
Gas on Gas heating systems are very common in Worcester and in the older 3 deckers. Yes you have to leave the doors open for the rooms you want to heat, but this heating system is considered adequate. I know landlords that wanted to replace them as part of an energy efficiency program and the gas company said that is was efficient enough and sufficient to heat the 5 room apartment.

The landlord should supply heat and a gas on gas system is considered supplying the heat. You can ask the landlord if he will add some heating sources, but he/she is under no obligation to do it.
Web Reference: http://www.sherriway.com
This is very common in the northeast, it is called a gas and gas stove where the back portion of the stove acts as a parlor style heater. Depending on teh size of teh apartment it may be adequate. You can check with teh Worcester building department or housing standards department if they have one if it is adequate as to city or state law. If not include a copy of the law and ask in writing for your landlord to add heat
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com