Rental Basics in 90046>Question Details

Sanedrac, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

What do I do if a parking spot is taken away from me?

Asked by Sanedrac, Los Angeles, CA Fri May 31, 2013

I live in an apartment in West Hollywood, CA. I have lived here for a little less than a year. During that time, the building has changed owners. In our lease it says we are promised on car parking spot. Our spot was a tiny driveway on the street, but the lease doesn't say which spot is ours, just that we get one. There is also an underground garage. Today, I arrived home and the driveway had been unpaved and I was told by the new landlord that the city told them that cannot be a parking spot. I asked if we would be assigned a spot in the garage and he said there is no room. What can I do about this?

Answers

9
Although the question is dated. The advice is clear. Sanedrac you need to go to the West Hollywood Department of Building & Safety and discuss it with the Rent-control Section and they will help you sort if out if and what your recourse is about your parking spot with your landlord.

Endre Barath,Jr.
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices California Properties

homes@endrebarath.com
310.486.1002(m)
Web Reference: http://www.endrebarath.com
I suspect the answer regarding your former space being public property is correct. However--and I'm not a lawyer so this isn't legal advice--that doesn't relieve the apartment management from its contract with you to provide you a space. What it might mean is that they might have to go out and rent a space somewhere else and provide it to you. Or find a space in the garage. Or provide you, at no charge, another space.

However, you'll likely need a lawyer to promt their action. Simply saying there's no room doesn't satisfy your lease requirements.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
You have a legal contract that stipulates a parking spot. get a lawyer to write them.
A lease is a legal document and to my knowledge it's terms must be met by landlord and tenant. Unfortunately this does sound like a legal case so you might want to speak to an attorney about it.
You may talk to an attorney.
You may want to check with West Hollywood's rent control. In the lease you state you were promised (one ) car parking spot. It sounds like you may have been parking on public property. The new ownership does not change your lease and if lease assigned (one) space it would have to be the subject property that you are leasing. Contact rent control explain the situation you should know legally where you stand.

West Hollywood Rent Stabilization: http://www.weho.org/index.aspx?page=284

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty
310-853-9933
I think this should be posted in the Trulia for Attorneys.... would love to give you advice but unfortunately not allowed to.

Hi Sanedrac,
Do you want to ask for a lower rent? after all it is supposed to be in the lease... Is it worth it for you to move because of the parking? Maybe , depends on the street parking and why you need it.
Do you want to fight it? You could get out of your lease on this ground.
No matter what, keep record of every event and when they happened.
Web Reference: http://www.muriellevin.com
I almost cannot believe that you are asking this; almost.