Rental Basics in 32766>Question Details

Lisa Prieto, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

What certifications/licenses do we need to be a property management company in Florida?

Asked by Lisa Prieto, Orlando, FL Sat Jun 2, 2012

We own and operate an electrical contracting company. A couple of our clients have asked us to manage their rental properties since we often do electrical repairs for them. We already manage our own rental property - but I am having trouble finding what requirements we need to meet to own a property management company. We are only looking to manage 2-3 more properties.

Help the community by answering this question:


A real estate broker's license. Call DBPR
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 2, 2012
Flag Thu Sep 17, 2015
I brokers license is not required if the managers are salary based.
Flag Thu Sep 17, 2015
Call the Institute of Real Estate Management. I believe it you are managing less than ten units, the rules are different. You do not need a Broker's License in the state of FL but may need a real estate sales license. IREM will answer your questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 10, 2014

In the state of Florida, you'll need to be licensed if you perform any of the following real estate activities for someone else for compensation:
- Auction
- Buying
- Advertising
- Renting
- Selling
- Appraising
- Leasing
- Exchange

The reason for licensing, quite simply, is to protect the general public. There are some special situations that are exceptions, but the type of business you're contemplating doesn't sound like one of them.

Property management definitely involves renting and leasing other people's properties for a fee. For further explanation of what does and does not require a real estate license, refer to the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) webpage cited below:…

You'll also find the phone number for the DBPR there as well. I hope that helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 2, 2012
Thanks Maggie - that's what i thought but when I called DBPR last Friday they told me they did not regulate property management.
Flag Sat Jun 2, 2012
Well Lisa you must first get a Landlords license, a signed state contract from the owner (s), a L.L.C state signed plus recorded and a real estate degree!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 2, 2012
you obviously dont know what youre talking about
Flag Wed Feb 24, 2016
you obviously don't know what you're talking about
Flag Wed Feb 24, 2016
you obviously don't know what you're talking about
Flag Wed Feb 24, 2016
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer