Rental Basics in Scottsdale>Question Details

Lindaleejohn…, Renter in South Jordan, UT

What are the "rules" regarding using a realtor to obtain a rental in Scottsdale?

Asked by Lindaleejohnson, South Jordan, UT Fri Jun 15, 2012

I was working with a realtor, but when I came to Scottsdale with my list of 10 houses to see, I was shown houses for rent on the first day about five and then basically told I was on my own for the second day, and that it was a "service" and they don't normally show rentals, and that I should have picked my top three for them to show. I was basically abandoned on the second day of a three day visit by a top realty. I was not told up front any of the above, so I expected to be shown all of the houses with the hope I would choose one and then when our house sold, we could then purchase.

Answers

9
Sharon S Glick’s answer
Hoping you and the Realtor were communicating your needs and rental price range.
You both have to be on the same page. I will say, sometimes looking on your own, you may get lucky. Working with a realtor is suppose to be beneficial. I have always taken care of my clients renting or purchasing.
Let me know if you need some help.

Sharon Glick ABR., e-PRO
Realty ONE Group
7975 N. Hayden Road #A101
Scottsdale, AZ 85259
OFF: 480-315-1240
CELL: 602-908-0725
Email: Sharong75@cox.net
Linda Lee,

Good morning. It is unfortunate that you had that type of experience. Although I primarily do Real Estate Sales transactions, I have assisted both Landlords and Tenants in the Rental market. If you need further assistance I would be happy to help.

Take care,
Teresa

Teresa R. Fahl, Realtor
Fine Homes Specialist
Prudential Arizona Properties ~ Troon North
28190 N. Alma School Road, Suite #111
Scottsdale, AZ 85262
Email: tfahl@cox.net | Cell: 480.620.5738
http://www.TNTFineProperties.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 15, 2012
Did you have a consultation with this realtor in his office? If you had a face-to-face meeting, you should have talked about how you would conduct your search and how they would help you. Did you sign an agreement with this realtor to work with him?

"I expected". This is why you should meet face-to-face and get all your questions answered. If you want someone to work FOR you, sign an agreement. The realtor will ask you to sign a loyalty agreement. If you refuse, you are still on your own.

Please talk to your next realtor in person and ask how they are going to work with you and tell them what kind of service you expect.
Hmmm...what you probably don't know is that realtors only get paid a couple hundred bucks for their work on rentals so some of them tend to "mail it in" when they are working these deals. I'm sorry this was your experience; it was terribly unprofessional of that agent. Please let me know if you are still looking for a rental (and the details of what you're looking for). I will be happy to help you out.

Denise Flanagan
HomeSmart
602-819-3095
denise@flanagangroupaz.com
What a shame...
I would say there are no actual rules.. Except the Golden Rule...

If one does not want to work with rentals then DON'T...

I have a Property Manage on board that 90% of his work is on Rentals.
I would be happy to give him your name and number if you want.

Wish you the best,
Karlene
A-Aa-1 Realty
602.376.3245
Hi Linda,

I am sorry to hear that happened to you. Some Realtors believe it to be a waist of time. I'll be happy to help you. You can contact me if you're interested in working with me.
My clients always refer me because of my work ethics.

--
SHAHLA MENTHA, ABR, e-Pro, REALTOR®
Executive Real Estate Consultant
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Direct: 602-741-0755
O Fax: 480-483-4917
mentha.shahla@gmail.com
http://www.azmove1.com
I HAVE NOW HEARD OF REALTORS NOT SHOWING ANY HOMES BY AGENTS WHO THROW OUT A MEASLEY FLAT FEE COMMISSION OF AS LOW $150. TO 250 TO PAY FOR THE RENTAL COMMISSION, AS I KNOW IT TAKES A FULL TANK OR TWO OF GAS , TOTAL SAME AMOUNT OF TIME TO RESEARCH THE EXISTING INVENTORY , CALL FOR AVAILABILITY , AND THEN SUBMIT A CONTRACT , AND HOPE THERE ARE NOT 5 OR MORE OTHERS YOUR UP AGAINST YOUR SINCERE OFFER , I SUGGEST YOU ALWAYS DISCLOSE WHAT YOUR NEEDS ARE , REALISTIC PRICING, TIME FRAME FOR MOVING AND WHETER YOU ARE WORKING WITH JUST THIS REALTOR , OR SEVERAL OTHERS, BE PREPARED TO WRITE ON A HOME WHEN YOU SEE THE RIGHT ONE, AS WHEN YOU ARE FINNISHED SEEING THE 10 YOU ASKED ABOUT , 2 0R 3 DAYS LATER, ITS GONE ROBERT HIGHSMITH FULL SERVICE REAltor homesmart realty 480-250-8020
Hi Robert, I would like to respectfully let you know that when you type in all capital letters it appears as though you are yelling. Just a quick tid bit on professionalism in real estate. Also, a little help with your punctuation looks like it may be in order
Flag Mon Nov 12, 2012
I fully disclosed my needs and intent to purchase a home once my home sold, but needed a rental until then. I disclosed the school area, my price and time frame...before August 1st. The problem was he DID NOT disclose anything, and if he had just told me what to expect up front I would have understood, but to leave me on the second day on my own because "they don't normally do that" is shocking. Just tell the client up front how many you're willing to show, where you're willing to show and that he would have preferred to use my rental car gas! I don't think that's asking too much.
Flag Fri Jun 15, 2012
There are not particular "rules" for showing rentals. As Tony said, some agents work with rentals and others do not. Your agent should have been upfront with how much they would do for you.
I am sorry to hear your experience was not what you were expecting. Some Realtors do not like to show rentals but I find it to be away to meet more people. If you would like some help please feel free to contact me.

Tony Mastricola
602-750-6195