Rental Basics in Dallas>Question Details

Dvor$dnh@ppy, Renter in Dallas, TX

What are the penalities when breaking a lease?

Asked by Dvor$dnh@ppy, Dallas, TX Fri Mar 11, 2011

I resigned in February for six months. Before this, I asked the manager and she said that I would have to give them one month notice and pay a prorated amount to terminate. I asked again, on yesterday and now it's two months.

Answers

5
And if you don't have your copy of the lease, ask the manager for a copy.

Read your lease first, but if you signed a TAR (Texas Association of Realtors) promulgated lease I believe your responsible for up to 80% of the cumulative unpaid rent due over the remaining term of the lease.

It varies with property management companies. Most apartment complexes do require either 30 or 60 days notice and a prorated amount for terminating your lease. This infomation should be clearly stated in the lease that you signed in February.
Review your lease agreement, as more than likely the answer can be found in it....
Your lease should clearly state the procedure, including how much notice is required. If you don't still have yours, ask the manager for a copy of your SIGNED lease agreement.