Adriana, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

What are the main differences between Noe Valley and Pac Heights?

Asked by Adriana, San Francisco, CA Tue Apr 10, 2012

I am new to the city and I'm temporarily staying in Pac Heights. I love this area, it's safe, it's got amazing views of the bay, it's close to Filmore and Polk restaurants and bars... street parking is terrible but that's my only complaint. I usually visit some friends that live in Noe Valley, and I enjoy hanging out at Dolores park on sunny days. But I'd like to ask some experts about the main difference between these two neighborhoods, is it worth looking for places in Noe Valley? (I work in SOMA, in case this fact changes your answers) Thanks in advance for your help!

Answers

4
While the differences might be subtle they do exist. The best way for you to see and experience the differences is to spend time in each and see how you feel. My advice is to spend time in the shopping districts. Upper Fillmore and Union St for Pac Heights and upper 24th for Noe Valley.
I think, from your statements that you are really drwan to the scene in the Mission especailly along 18th Street and Valencia. That isn't Noe Valley but the closest Pac Heights can come to anything similar is Hayes St.
While Noe Valley and Pac Heights can be similar the proximity to really new and attractive shopping and resturants leans towards Noe.
BTW the Mission has BART to take you downtown or bike along basically flat terrain.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 11, 2012
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Great, my husband and I are moving to SF this summer as well. I lived in Pac Heights for 5 years 10 years ago and was hoping to find an area like that but closer to freeway for my husband's job. Noe Valley sounds ideal. Adriana, thanks for asking this question. :)
The two areas couldn't be more different; the answer depends on how you feel about those differences. Hipsters versus Yuppies (no negative connotation intended). ironically, bad parking is one of the few things that both share in common.

Here are some other thoughts:
Noe / Dolores
1. weather wise, Noe / Dolores is typically warmer
2. its the "foodies" epicenter of the city
3. no real views unless your really high up on the hills
4. Dolores area is more bike friendly

Pac Hgts
1. its safer...not that Dolores isn't safe.
2. better for outdoorsy types due to easy access to the beach, Ft.Mason, Crissy Fields and even the Presidio.

let me know if you've got questions or need anything else!
People, weather and prices. Noe Valley tends to be sunnier, younger and more diverse in my experience. Plus you have access to 101/280 and BART. It's also ground zero for the