Rental Basics in Boston>Question Details

L.l.a, Renter in Boston, MA

What are the best affordable neighborhoods for young families, commutable to Charlestown?

Asked by L.l.a, Boston, MA Wed Jun 6, 2012

We are relocating to the Boston area and looking to rent a 2/3bdrm home/condo. A walkable neighborhood with transit options is ideal. Even better if it has great outdoor options!

Answers

5

I agree with many of the options provided by others; however, I think a great fit might be Arlington, Brookline, Newton or Jamaica Plain. These three areas each have unique qualities, but all should offer options with outdoor space, easy access to trains or bus, as well as giving you a bit more for your money. You will be hard-pressed to find a rental in Charlestown with outdoor space, especially if you're looking for private space.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Eric
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 19, 2012
The best is to stay in Charlestown which has great options
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
There are quite a few options for you ... depending on how close you would like to live you may want to consider Charlestown, Cambridge and Somervile. If you are looking for more outdoor options and do not mind a 10 - 15 min drive you may want to consider Winchester and parts of Woburn.

As far as transit options you will have a combination of car, bus and rail options in most of the above communities. I would recomend you meed with a Realtor that specializes in rentals and explore the difference communities. Rents are a bit of a shocker depending on where you are relocating from. Rents are way up and many renters are converting over to buying a home as interest rates are super low and in their favor. The question of " Why pay a landlord when I can pay myself " seems to make sense in our real estate market.
In addition to the answer below I can be reached at 617-851-7393. Carol Adolph
Charlestown is a very good option. It is walkable to downtown Boston and is convenient to all highways within a 5 minute drive. You didn;t say if you will be renting or buying. I have been a broker in Charlestown for nearly 30 years abnd would be happy to help you find a new home.