Question Details

Victory Prop…, Real Estate Pro in Raleigh, NC

What are some ways people use to judge whether a particular neighborhood is safe when buying or renting?

Asked by Victory Property Management, Raleigh, NC Wed Nov 3, 2010

Answers

4
Why not research the police records in the neighborhood. It should tell you the number or crimes in a specific time frame that have been reported in the area you're interested in.

Best of luck to you!
Web Reference: http://www.DesariJabbar.com
I think Gene makes a great point. If you do not feel safe in the neighborhood, why invest there. I have owned and managed a lot of property over the years and there were properties that I did not like going to visit. As a result, these properties did not receive the level of attention they needed. I now have a policy that if I would not walk the streets of the area, alone, after dark, I will not own or manage in that area. As for how to judge if a neighborhood is safe, contact the local police department. Most jurisdictions have on-line crime maps that are very useful in determining what is going on in a neighborhood.
Lighting is huge. How visible is everything at night? Do you need a flashlight or do all of the street lights stay on at night?

Are there gates, and if there are are they there for a purpose? If they are there for a purpose do they serve the purpose well?
Walk around for a few blocks and talk to neighbors. Call the sherriff/police office and see what they have to say about the area.

My benchmark is simple....I personally only invest in areas where my wife feels comfortable going alone during the day, and I feel safe going there alone at night.