Rental Basics in Wichita>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are some tips for renters before signing a lease?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Mar 6, 2012

What are some things to be aware of? What are some tips when negotiating a lease?

Answers

2
READ every word and ask questions about anything you don't understand.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 6, 2012
Tip #1
Make sure that you have "diplomatic clause". Different markets call it different things, but ultimately this is the portion of the contract that spells out clearly what the terms are for both notice and cost for you to be able to get out of your lease early. Life happens....you change jobs, win the lottery, get married, get divorced, lose a job....or need to move because your just hate the place. Whatever happens, know ahead of time what it takes for you to break your lease and how much it will cost you to do so.

Tip #2
Ask them which floor plans they have in the greatest quantity. Most apartments keep track of which units are in shorter supply and adjust their pricing upwards as demand increases. They also lower prices when they have an abundance of a particular floor plan. You can find a great deal by asking about their current inventory!

If you like my answer, give me the "Thumbs Up" if you really liked it, honor me with awarding me the "Best Answer". I really do appreciate it!

Chris Schilling, ABR, CRS, GRI, GREEN
Broker-Founder
Turbo Realty
chris@turborealty.com