Rental Basics in Dallastown>Question Details

Becky, Other/Just Looking in Dallastown, PA

What are homes renting for in Dallastown PA? I have a 3 bed room 2 1/2 bath. Furnished or not.

Asked by Becky, Dallastown, PA Wed Jan 7, 2009

I have a 3 bed room 2 1/2 bath. Furnished or not. Are professionals renting? I'm in Blossom Hill and currently live in the home. I'm looking to relocate but not necessarily sell. I have never been a land lord. Any suggestions?

Answers

9
Becky, You might have fun with this....http://www.rentometer.com/
You can type in your address and get rent comparables from your area. Just something to help get a rough idea.

Best, Dunes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 7, 2009
There are a number of PA homes listed for rent on http://www.CorporateHousingbyOwner.com - you can both look on the site and call them to speak with a property specialist who can help price your home.

This is a link to the PA Search results
http://corporatehousingbyowner.com/search_widget_submit.html…
Becky,
just looking for a place to rent in Dallastown just because of the wonderful things iv heard about the school district. Looking to move in the area when school starts this summer or sooner please e-mail me at luttrellrose@ymail.com
Hi Becky,
I don't have an answer for you, but I am looking for a property for rent in dallastown school district my kids are already in this school district and I don't want to change them from school district. If you decide to rent this property please email me, this is my email un_milagrodedios@yahoo.com
These agents seem to have had negative experiences with tennants. My wife and I are a professional
couple. When we rent as we have been the last year in FL we take care of the property as if it were ours.
So not all Tennants are bad. These agents are looking to make money from you.

We just sold a property in NC and moved to FL, but miss Pa so we are looking to rent in Pa before
buying. Lancaster County is home, but we are expanding our seach to include the York area.

Dale Redcay
Trisha & Eileen have given you good information in what they have said. However, neither of them has discussed the issue of the legalities of Pennsylvania Landlord/Tenant Laws. There are legal ramifications of becoming a landlord that you need to educate yourself about. Not knowing these laws could land you in deep, and expensive, trouble legally. I am including a link to the Penna/U.S. HUD website where you can obtain some information about these laws. It is not the best web site/infomration, but can give you an idea of some of the basics. Even with that information, you would be wise to consult an attorney who is well-versed in these issues before deciding to rent out your home, not just talk with someone else who has done so. Most landlords are not fully aware of these laws, and therefore are not the best source of advice, although they can give you the benefit of their experiences.
If you will be an absentee landlord, you should make sure to use an agent/agency who are trained in property management. Most agents are not, even if they are also landlords. If you would like the names of some who are, please contact me for the information.
In any event, whether you sell or rent it out, any agent/agency you use should be one who is experienced locally, not only in your county, but also in your own local community.
I hope this has helped you.
Paula Burt, Dallastown, PA
Becky,
Trisha makes a good point. My husband and I have several rental properties and help two friends with the management of theirs. It takes a certain mindset to be a landlord!

Another consideration is that it is markedly more difficult to be an "absentee" landlord, meaning that you live in another area while renting out a home here. Also, the type of home that is best suited for a rental may not be the home you selected as a place for your family to live.

What will you do if you rent out the home and the occupants trash the place, (or even just bread a screen door, burn a hole in the deck, and put lots of little hand prints all the way down the hall and up the steps). You can end up with a home that has to be seriously rehabbed before you can sell it. Is that worth the risk for you.

If you think you will be away from the area for a year or two and then want to return to your home, then a rental may be a good idea. If so, you will need to plan to give a property management company something on the order of 6 to 10% of the rent for ongoing management. They will probably also charge to place the tenant. You will still be paying the full mortgage, including taxes and insurance.

If you have more questions, throw them back at us here on this forum or call a local professional. This requires some very careful thought and Trisha is right that you need to educate yourself before you make the decision.

I would welcome some input from the community on this: Are any of the mortgage companies insisting that the home be owner occupied? Isn't it important to let your insurance company know if you are not staying in the home? You can't assume that you have coverage for a rental if the insurance is for owner occupied, right??

Eileen;s Green Team, serving York and Lancaster
Becky,
Eileen did a good job on giving you a good idea about how much to rent your home for. Since you have never been a landlord before, you should really talk to someone who has. they can give you a good idea of what to expect and maybe even help you interview possible tenants. Make sure you have a solid rental agreement as well. You will want to educate yourself on as much as you can before you go ahead and rent your home out.
Becky,

Homes in the Dallastown area with 3 br 2 baths, listed on the MLS rental section have rented recently from 1100 to 1800.

Other homes 2 to 4 bedrooms, condos, townhomes, and detached, have been advertised as low as 850 and as high as 2500, and the 2500 one is on the list of rented home.

That's the long answer! The short answer is there doesn't seem to be much science to the rental market here. However, now that the MLS has rental listings it is not uncommon to see homes renting for an amount that comes pretty close to covering the capitol that folks have invested in them. Seems to me that the most common price range is between 1100 and 1600 for nice detached homes.

You can find rentals for somewhat less in the newspapers, but most of those are in York city, or in in downtown areas of the surrounding towns.

Eileen's Green Team