Rental Basics in 02905>Question Details

mr.irp.snerp…, Renter in Providence, RI

We rent an apartment and have been paying rent to the landlord. I do not know if the house had been foreclosed or they just wanted to sell,

Asked by mr.irp.snerple, Providence, RI Mon Jul 2, 2012

we were notified we have 30 days to vacate. Who do we pay this month's rent to ,,,or do we not pay this month because we need to relocate and might need that extra cash due our low fixed income?

Answers

4
If the building is foreclosed on, you will get a notice from the bank. Often times the bank will give you money to relocate. So if you have a bank notice, call them and find out if they will offer you anything. This recently happened to a family member of mine and she was given 2500 from the bank to help with moving expenses and still bound to the terms of her lease with the landlord.

Good luck to you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2012
Best answer..... as far as I'm concerned any time a tenant has to move because a house is sold OR foreclosed,,,, the tenant should be compensated for what I still believe should be called a "Displacement." We are happy now we have the money to pay the deposit on a new apartment. We found one which won't be available til mid month. We will pay this month as a deposit and we pay after we move in the following month. and so on..... all we need do now is pack and move,,,, they accepted the security as rent. THERE IS NO LAW PREVENTING AN AGREEMENT BE MADE TO TURN OVER THE SECURITY AS RENT.
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
As far as I'm concerned everything was legal, except asking to pay rent and be out in 30 days. Call it what you will or won't but that changes the whole scenario. I understand your interest in the sale, but perhaps Realtor's need a lesson in humbleness. Without the people and families who can only afford to rent,,,,, this is the true source of income for commercial ownership of these investment houses. Therefore - those who become landlords should be THANKFUL so many are not able to be Homeowners. So Humble Yourselves and Grow a Heart not a "pair."

The house has been sold, the new owners want to move in,,, the sale is contingent on the house being vacated by July 31st. We were personally handed a document I refused to sign, (I was never on the lease-my roommate is) We never intended to not vacate, but we surely are not going to leave ourselves without enough to move.
I stood my ground,,, we will vacate on the 31st,,, hold this months rent to move and signed a document forfeiting the security. We have located another nice place,nearby,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the transition can now proceed smoothly. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR GREAT ANSWERS---- it helped me decide the course to take..
You would continue to pay the landlord as required under your rental agreement. Since you did not mention a lease agreement, or if there was one and it has expired, most likely you are now a month-to-month tenancy which requires a 30-day notice to vacate. As far as the property being put on the market for sale versus being foreclosed upon, that would not affect your responsibility to pay your last month's rent. By not paying this would damage your credit rating if it was reported to the credit bureaus by the landlord.
You have to review your lease (if you have one). 30 days notice is probably all that is necessary.If you are living in the unit you do have to pay rent. Upon move out, the land lord has 20 days to refund you your security deposit. You can ask if any money will be made available to you to move, especially if it is a foreclosure.