Rental Basics in Horsham>Question Details

Lisapkoj, Renter in Middletown, CT

We are moving back to PA after two yrs. of living in New England. My husband was laid off from his company. While spending many hours job-seeking, he

Asked by Lisapkoj, Middletown, CT Thu Mar 7, 2013

And I have been searching for rentals. However, they all seem to want proof of employment, etc.. We're willing to put down five to six months rent in cash. Is this common & do rental owners accept payment this way? Just concerned because we need a temporary place to live. Any advice you would be willing to share, would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Answers

4
Hello, I am a Realtor in the area and I have negotiated rentals with clients who have credit or employment issues this way. It is possible!! Also there are townhomes in the area that offer short term rentals as well. Please contact me if you would like my help in finding your perfect rental!
Trisha Kozak
Coldwell Banker Realty Corp
office 215-855-5600
cell 215-435-0650

Thanks and good luck!!
Many landlords will consider large prepayments in lieu of proof of current employment. They will also be looking for a couple of other things. They will want to see how you present your plan of action for finding work and your plan for maintaining good credit worthiness. They'll want to make sure you're using funds like unemployment compensation for the essentials and for finding work or retraining. If they believe your plan is likely to succeed, they are more likely to commit to having you as a tenant. You can think of it like just another job interview. Staying current on you bills goes a long way to giving people confidence that you take your obligations seriously. Even if you're just making the minimum payment, make sure you stick with it. It makes a great impression to do that under stress and will likely open doors for you.

Please reach out with any questions or for some help getting to know the current market conditions.

Kind regards,

Jodi Golub
HomeStarr Realty
Cell: 215.808.6311
Office: 215.355.5565
jodi@homestarrinc.com
Hi, I agree with my colleague below, but that's usually to make up for things list bad credit or other issues. No job is a big one. While we as Realtors are sympathetic to your situation, what happens in 6 months if you haven't found work? How will you pay your rent? This is going to be very hard for any landlord to accept.

Let us know where you're hopiing to live so we can keep an eye out for you. Eric
Yes, if you are willing to put a large amount of the rent up front, many owners will reconsider some of their more "regular" strict requirements. More money upfront means less likely hood that you will stop paying rent!

Please contact me with anymore questions,

Rebecca Utermohlen
REALTOR
Coldwell Banker Realty Corp
rutermohlen@cbrealtycorp.com
Office: 215-855-5600 ext. 106