Soleil, Renter in Upper West Side, New...

UWS rental question: what is considered market monthly rental price for a one-bedroom apt in UWS well maintained, building (3d floor of 3 flr walkup

Asked by Soleil, Upper West Side, New York, NY Fri Aug 5, 2011

Townhouse, walk-up one bedroom apt is in West 80s between Bwy and WEA. Landlord resident in building. Need to figure out approx going rate for these type apts in well-maintained building. thanx

Answers

13
One bedroom apartments in walk-up Townhouses in the west 80's between Broadway and Riverside Drive start around (asking price) $2200. Studios and alcoves around (asking price) $1850.

The rental market is very tight and this is the prime rental season. There are currently 4 on the market between west 84th and west 89th between Broadway and WEA. They all have broker fee.

If you are looking for lower rents you will need to go further north than 10025. Harlem and Upper Manhattan have significantly lower rents than 10024 and 10025 west 80's and west 90's

Good Luck
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
Expect to pay around $2500 for a 1BR apartment in that neighborhood. Note that there could be other fees involved in securing an apt in the city...not sure if you are aware of them namely, application fee, credit check, possibly move-in/out depending on the building policy (usually in elevator condo/coop bldgs), broker fee should you use the services of a broker.

There is very limited rental inventory so apartments go really fast. You should be prepared to make a quick decision and ready with the necessary documents when you find an apt you like.

I would be more than happy to take you around and help you in your apt search if you decide to use a broker. Pls fee free to call or email. And best of luck on your search.

Zita Alvarez Lo
Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker
Bus 212-350-2825
Cell 917-656-8112
zlo@elliman.com

PRUDENTIAL DOUGLAS ELLIMAN
205 East 42nd Street, 6th floor
New York, NY 10017
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 18, 2011
Thanks for your question.

There are 81 available one-bedroom apartments on the Upper West Side today, ranging from $1,995 to $4,300, with an average around $2,800.

Please give me a call when you have time to see what is available!

Bruno

Bruno J. Navarro
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
BOND New York Properties, LLC
1776 Broadway, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10019
212.804.8948 mobile
http://www.facebook.com/NYCApartmentAgent
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 5, 2011
Upper West Side one beds are approx. $2598 as oer June's Rental Average Summary Report.

Jennifer Chiongbian
SVP/ Associate Broker
RUtenberg Realty NYC
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 5, 2011
You will have a better chance going north, but keep in mind that area of Columbia University could be as high as 70th!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 5, 2011
Soleil, you can use this link: http://www.rentometer.com/ as a guide line to help you to figure out if you will pay right. I hope it helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 5, 2011
Joseph is correct, but condition of the unit will also pay factor in the $$$
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 5, 2011
Hi Soleil. How large is the apartment? Whaqt direction does it face? does it have high ceilings? Is it pet-friendly? Are there any laundry facilities?. All these will add value to a rental as they do to a sale.

The Location is great and technically, it's a prime location. That will be cause for a premium rent. There is simply no hard and fast rule for price and there can be many factors that might make one place more expensive than another. A third floor walk-up means two flights of stairs. Hardly something to ponder for a lower rent negotiation, which is what you are looking to do here. It is conceivable that the rent could be well over $2K. Keep in mind there isn't much rental inventory. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 5, 2011
I would not agree with that answer, for $2,000 on UWS you can only find a Studio or poor 1 Bedroom. I just rented large one bedroom 880 s.f on Central Park West in the nice building for $2,750
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 5, 2011
Figure about $2,000. Possibly a few hundred less or any amount more. Most apts now have a broker's fee attached to them. If there isn't one, it is a good deal.
Ready Group- Janet
Web Reference: http://www.readyg.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 5, 2011
You're looking to spend anywhere from $2000-2500 - very lucky if you find anything below $2000. That said, prices will incrementally go up as the summer begins to approach.

Damoun Baruch Yashar
CEO | Licensed NY Real Estate Agent

New York Real Estate Group
1115 Broadway Ave, 11th Fl
New York, NY 10010

646.389.2437 (direct)
646.393.4386 (office)

dyashar@newyorkreg.com
http://www.newyorkreg.com

"The Best Compliment I Can Receive Is A Referral To Your Friends And Family."
Hello!

The average monthly rental rate for 1 -bedroom apartments in the UWS = $2590 - $2600. I know some landlords who have availability on W76th off Amsterdam. They are asking $2100/month on a 12 month lease. It really depends on the amenities and what you are seeking. In the UWS, I have found a lot of private landlords and not so many "large" landlords, so their conditions and terms of the lease/price depends on the desires of the landlord.

For instance, the landlord that has a 1-bed at $2100 is finanically secure, not looking to bank millions. He just has very strict applicant requirements with 3 or 4 riders attached to the lease on noise levels, pets, laundry, etc. The apartment iteslf is in a beautiful renovated townhouse with exposed brick on the east and west facing walls, with a full seperate kitchen.

So, in common, the exchange works like this: Low broker fee = higher rent or a discount broker (can sometimes, sometimes be sketchy). Higher broker fee = quality brokers with quality apartments usually from attentive landlords or well-known management companies.

In today's market, Mitchell is correct, the market is tight and it is prime rental season. If I were personally looking for an apartment, I'd contact a broker and have them help me find a place to live. They can even show you newer buildings, who most likely have higher rental rates, but usally pay the broker's commission. If the broker cannot show you quality, privately owned apartments, find a new broker or ask him to sit with you and search the database. Every broker has access to 1000's of apartments if they are legitimate - some of the brokers choose to only work with exclusives, so ask the broker when you contact them.

Travis R. Old
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
CitySites Real Estate Group

3 W 57th Street
5th floor
New York, NY 10019

Text/Cell: (347) 601 - 9600
Direct: (212) 228 - 3882
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/travisrayold

Find me on Facebook to stay up to date on no-fee rentals and newly available luxury real estate or distinctive investment property.

Referral Bonus: Rent or Sell an apartment/home/building through me, then refer two friends and your next purchase or rental is commission free!
thank you all for your answers; i will continue to search UWS, perhaps zip code 10025 further north a few blocks. The apt I mentioned already has an applicant submitted; it faces south, small bedroom, larger living room and open kitchen into living room. No laundry facility in building , no pets (i was hoping to convince my indoor cat would behave...)
for now, it seems the apt rented immediately, alas