Rental Basics in Louisiana>Question Details

Amber, Home Buyer in Louisiana

The listing agent is not doing her job after I paid the rental deposit. What do I do?

Asked by Amber, Louisiana Mon Mar 16, 2009

On March 4, I paid a deposit on a lease-to-own condo in which I plan to move into on March 27. The agent also had me sign a document that stated I had three days (til March 7) upon reviewing the lease with purchase option agreement to request a refund of the deposit. The realtor told me that she would immediately email the agreement to me. On March 6, I called her because she had yet to email the document with me. She said she would extend the March 7 deadline and would have the document to me by the next day. Two days later on March 8, I emailed her stating that I was beginning to get very concerned with the delay. She responded that she was would extend the deadline to March 17. Well, today is March 16. I called at noon and she said she was going to the office at 3:00pm and would email it to me then. I am typing this at 7:30pm and STILL have not received it. Can I go through someone else even though she is the listing agent and I paid the deposit? What can I do?

Answers

3
WOW, do you have an executed agreement. I would make a personal stop into her office speak direct with her broker. GOOD LUCK, I would be concerned to if I were "in your shoes"

Lynn911
~ National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Lecturer regarding Credit Repair, Mortgage Loan Officer
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
One last thing that could be totally overlooked - do you have a spam filter on your email? I've had several incidents where the emails were in a spam folder or treated as bulk mail by my email provider.

Louisiana real estate law requires agents to provide copies of any signed documents within 5 days of obtaining all signatures. Could be the owners live out of state and the agent is having difficulty obtaining their original signature?

I don't normally send people to the broker, however in this case it may be your best bet. Obviously you do not feel that you are being represented in the transaction. It is your right to have someone else review it.
Did you ask her why all the extensions? There might be a reason outside agent's control, like say the owner not moving out in time or some such. But I suppose stopping by agent's office to chat with them/their broker wouldn't hurt.

And yes, you *could* go through someone else, a buyer's agent (an agent that works for you, unlike the listing agent which works for the seller) you may not be able to do it now since the listing agent would have a good case for procurring cause.