Rental Basics in Maple Grove>Question Details

MN/FL HOMEOW…, Home Owner in 55311

TENANT PROBLEMS--ANY ADVICE?

Asked by MN/FL HOMEOWNER, 55311 Sat Aug 31, 2013

Has anyone experienced a situation when a tenant breaks the lease, leaves, and trashes your rental and you withhold the damage deposit? That is what happened to us last month. Tenant would not give us forwarding address so I sent the itemization/receipts to my rental house and it was forwarded to her. Now she is creating havoc in my life cause I withheld her damage deposit. I have tried talking to her and explaining but she won't listen. Now she is bothering the new tenants and talking trash about me. My new tenants were so upset they ran a criminal check on her. My husband now just wants to give her the deposit back because he feels so threatened. THE THREATS AND INTIMIDATION IS PRETTY SCAREY. We have now cut all communication with her. We both are on Social Security and are only renting the house because we cannot afford it and it is underwater---just the only solution now for us. BUT NEXT TIME WE WILL USE A RENTAL MANAGEMENT COMPANY SO THIS NEVER HAPPENS TO US AGA

Answers

5
It is important to do background and credit checks prior to renting your home. Not everyone is meant to be a landlord, it may be better to sell your home
Keep their deposit and go after them in court for the rest of the money they owe you. How many more months were left on the lease?

Cody Anderson, MN Licensed Realtor

RE/MAX RESULTS
Metropolitan Home Team

Phone: 612-242-5752

Blog: http://www.trulia.com/blog/cody_anderson/
If you are going to use a Rental company I am told that Renters Warehouse does a nice job. If thinking about doing a short sale since you are underwater - Markve and Zweifel law firm in Maple Grove will provide you with a free consultation. There you can talk through your situation and see if a short sale is a step you would want to take. its free costs you nothing for the consultation. Just Google Markve and Zweifel. There is help out there.

Hope this was useful.

Brian Marcus
Remax Results
612.730.2619
Yes, I had this problem! I actually kept their deposit and then sued them for all the money they owed us that was supposed to be paid until the end of the lease. We won. Sometimes it's just bad luck with bad tenants. There's no way of preventing it.
Web Reference: http://www.hrpm.ca
Call me. I may be able to help. Liz, 612-986-4105