Rental Basics in Detroit>Question Details

Rowena, Other/Just Looking in Adelaide, CA

Summer and Winter Taxes

Asked by Rowena, Adelaide, CA Tue Apr 7, 2009

As an Australian, I want to purchase a property in Detroit, but I don't understand the calculation of summer/winter taxes. I am looking at a $12,000 with winter taxes of $24,000 and summer taxes of $218,000... How are they calculated and why do they vary so much??

Answers

3
Maureen Francis, Birmingham MI’s answer
Millage is the rate of taxation. Each municipality determines it's own millage rate and decides what services they will offer. They could include things like public library service, park maintenance, road maintenance, trash removal and public safety. In some areas, the home owner will contract privately for trash removal, because it is not covered by taxes, for example. I don't know of any cities that don't provide snow plowing, but some don't do it quite as well as others.
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
What is Millage? does it include plowing snow during winter? and things like that
Something appears to be wrong with those numbers. Those taxes are very high. The taxes are calculated by multiplying the taxable value by the millage rate for the municipality. Summer taxes are higher because they include the school tax.
Web Reference: http://miOaklandCounty.com