Rental Basics in Phoenix>Question Details

Lbr, Home Seller in Phoenix, AZ

Son's roommate bailed & he can't afford the rent. If he can't find a new RM, what can he do? PS: LL never gave him a copy of lease

Asked by Lbr, Phoenix, AZ Wed Apr 25, 2012

& tenant's rights. He's 18 and wants to be on his own. He was able to afford his half of the rent comfortably, but the whole thing plus the fixed monthly expenses is over his budget. He approached the leasing office, but they told him "too bad." I asked my son to look over his lease to see what it says about breaking the lease and he realized he never received a copy of it, nor did he receive a copy of the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act doc. He's very credit-conscious and doesn't want a black mark on his record.

Answers

2
First, I would suggest that your son pick up a copy of the lease from the landlord. If he signed it, my guess is that he signed and acknowledged that he received a copy of the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act. He is not going to get much sympathy from a judge if his signature is on the lease.

Most likely the lease say that both tenants are individually and fully liable for the rent payments.

Your son probably has a claim against the roommate (Did he and the roommate enter in to a contract?) . He may be able to find another tenant for the space. It will be set forth in the contract. My advice is to seek help from a real estate lawyer now rather than wait for the situation to get worse when he does not pay the bill.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 25, 2012
Some property managers will allow a tenant to advertise the property at the tenants expense to find a new tenant replacement. The manager will do this so that the owner does not pay to have the unit vacant and pay advertising and leasing fees again. Ask the manager if you can pay these items to find a replacement and then explain he will cooperate in showing the unit and keep it tidy for the showings. Once a new tenant is found for a replacement then they could let him out of the lease obligation.