cemilya7, Renter in Oklahoma City, OK

Should i use an agent to find a rent house or look on my own? I aim to start renting a house in the next month or so. I've started looking by

Asked by cemilya7, Oklahoma City, OK Wed Jul 30, 2014

using Trulia and Zillow and drive by many of the houses I liked on both sites but I can't keep doing that. I'm unsure where safer but cheaper neighborhoods are and wasn't sure if an agent would know or not. I've never worked with an agent before and don't know what fees they would charge. Any advice on what to do would be great!

Answers

5
You should do both, most large companies will have a rental department. Continue to look online and riding around . Google crime stats for certain areas. Good luck
Let me tell you how it works here in N.C. and I would find it hard to imagine it being much different in any other state. Yes, there are agents who will help you with rentals and even list them on the local MLS. However, your best source is to search online for local companies that handle home rentals, not apartments. As a matter of fact, I just did that and came up with several hits including Realtor.com . You can also check on Craigslist although be careful of those homes that seem too good to be true as there is a lot of scamming going on. NEVER give up any personal information if asked to do so before being shown the property!! Good Luck!!
There are rental specialists that can help you, but they may not have access to all of the local rentals. I would start with a rental agent, but also look at other online resources, newspaper, etc.
Most people only get an agent if they are going to buy a house. I have never heard of anyone getting an agent to rent a house. I don't even think they are agents for renting a house. Just look on your own. Figure out what is the most you are comfortable paying, where you want the location to be, and other criteria that fits you and stick too it. Look on the internet, in the paper, ask friends, and drive around.
it certainly would be helpful if you had a local agent guiding you......give one a call and have a discussion