Adamjacob, Renter in San Francisco, CA

Should I reserve an apartment or is this just a scam?

Asked by Adamjacob, San Francisco, CA Tue Dec 13, 2011

I have found an apartment that seems to good to be true. It is currently occupied but the agent told me that he could reserve the apartment for me if I pay the deposit and first months rent up front. I have yet to meet this agent in person. Should I reserver the apartment or will this "agent" disappear as soon as they get my money.

Answers

9
Sounds like a scam, never pay any money upfront; always verify ownership; the person claiming to be an agent, may not be so....if it looks too good to be true, it probably is....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 13, 2011
Your money will be gone and you will never meet this person. Never engage with people who ask for money up front, whether it is for rentals or for some sore of service.
Never give money till you see the unit and review the lease. If you get resistance to seeing the unit and meeting the person it is surely a scam and time to move on - But please report this to anyone possible. Linking the ad to this post would have been a start.
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Scam.

"Too good to be true."

"I have yet to meet this agent in person."

To make sure, knock on the apartment door. Ask the current renter who his landlord is and when (or even if) he's planning on moving. I suspect the answers will differ from what you've been told.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
It sure sounds like a scam! Who is the agent and what's the address? Have you checked the agent's credentials and called his office? Is he easily found with a name search online? If so, does his contact information match?

There are just too many scams going on currently - you need to be extra careful. Try contacting Mark McNabb:

Mark McNabb
Rental Agent
Paragon Real Estate Group
1400 Van Ness Ave
San Francisco, CA 94109
M: 415.302.5333
mmcnabb@paragon-re.com http://www.paragon-rentals.com

Best of luck,

Oggi Kashi
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to error and omission, and not warranted.
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com
Just read an article today about rental scams. The link includes a list of items, provided by the Better Business Bureau, potential tenants should be aware of when leasing a new property.
Always error on the side of caution. If you have a way to check this agent out, do so. Otherwise walk away.... No one can afford to give a way rent money.
RUN, RUN, RUN, it's a scam. If it's too good to be true, it is.

TAP
It sure sounds fishey.
Probably no way to check him out?

Good luck and may God bless