Rental Basics in 08502>Question Details

neon333, Renter in Belle Mead, NJ

Security deposit/lease?

Asked by neon333, Belle Mead, NJ Wed Jul 17, 2013

I have been renting a room in a private residence without a lease or security deposit for the last 5 years without any issues until recently. Another renter moved out and left the room in sub par condition and the owner had to spend some money out of pocket to get the room in a rentable state. The owner is now trying to get a security deposit from me for my room even the there is no lease.
Is this even legal? Basically I'm being to told to fork over a months rent with nothing in writing. Thanks in advance.

Answers

2
You can call twp and ask if your renting is legal. If you find it isnt are you prepared to move out? Security deposits are normal but so is a lease. I suggest you request a lease even if month to month that will stipulate security as well as rent and what is and is not included.
It's not unreasonable for him to ask for a security deposit, even if you are renting month-to-month. You should have a security deposit receipt and agreement that specifies under exactly what circumstances he is entitled to charge against it.