David, Renter in San Francisco, CA

S.F. Leases - If I terminate a lease 4 mo's early, do I owe a Lease Commission fee to the rental company? If so, how much is this?

Asked by David, San Francisco, CA Fri Feb 22, 2013

Answers

3
The answer will be in the contract (lease). If it isn't there or in some other written and signed document then it wouldn't be enforcable.
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
I've never seen a lease with that stipulation and doubt if it is a part of your lease. However if you terminate the lease 4 months prior to its stipulated termination date then you owe the landlord four months rent. You rented the lease for a year, I assume, and that is the deal you made with the landlord and he is expecting a year's worth of rent. Most landlords will allow you to find a replacement tenant and allow you to negotiate something with them. Give him/her a call and see what they think.
Without knowing your lease, it's very hard to say. What do the terms say?

Tap
http://www.DavidTapper.com
http://www.TeamTapper.com
In "Section 26. Termination" the lease says the following:
"Any attempt by Tenant to terminate this Agreement prior to the end of the original term shall be deemed to be a breach of this agreement and Owner shall be entitled to recover all damages occasioned thereby including leasing commissions, advertising expenses and utilities maintained to show the unit"

I understand leasing commissions are included in this description, but am I responsible for the remaining 4 months of commissions or only the commission during the time the apartment is on-the-market?
Flag Fri Feb 22, 2013