Rental Basics in Denver>Question Details

imryan23, Other/Just Looking in Denver, CO

Renting with a family pet

Asked by imryan23, Denver, CO Sat May 5, 2012

We will relocate to Denver in a few months. While we get to know the area, we plan to rent. We have one cat, and I am surprised by the number of postings that indicate no cats are allowed. When it comes down to it, do landlords hold tenants to it? I know a few require additional deposits, and that is fine. I'm more concerned with seeing that majority of landlords will not even entertain the idea.

Answers

4
Echo all the good answers below. The rental market right now is super tight right now. Landlords renewing leases are raising rents $100-500/month. I have a rental coming vacant this month and my new rent will be $200-300/month more. There is that much demand out there right now. With that demand, Landlords can be stricter with what they will or will not allow.

However, I will add: Denver has been and I think still is an animal and Pet friendly town. Expect a Pet deposit, but I think with some persistence you will find what you want & need. Just be prepared to act quickly and don't hesitate when you find something you like and works for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
David's right - buying may be cheaper. But I will tell you as a landlord myself, if you sign a lease that says 'no pets' I would hold you to it.

Whenever we advertise our houses for rent, we say no pets, but people always call and say "we have ..." whatever. And indeed, we have folded and allowed one cat or one dog. But the tenant would have to be a strong applicant. In other words, if the application is weak in other ways, having a cat isn't going to help you.

If you do want to explore the idea of buying, an agent can help you by previewing homes, gathering information not available in the MLS, telling you about the community, making videos, etc. I know I've had lots of loooooong email conversations with folks moving to the area and planning to buy.

Good luck, and welcome to Denver (when you get here)!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
Hello Imran23,

Pet restrictions are common practice with rentals in Denver and I suppose in most places. Even with landlords who are cat lovers. There are valid reasons why. Some people do not do well at cleaning up after there cats and there are significant damages that a cat can do to a property. As you noticed, there are sometimes more restrictions and deposits for cats than for dogs. There is something about the odor of cat urine that sometimes professional cleaners can't remove. I have not only seen carpets and pads destroyed and removed; but hardwoor floors and subfloors removed and replaced to remediate the odor.

I would not take offense at this, but be prepared to pay the sometimes healthy deposit required in the lease. The Denver rental market is so strong right now that landlords don't have to be flexible when they say they will not entertain the idea of any pets allowed on there properties. In some condominium HOA's you may also find that some have either pet restrictions or exclusions written in to their covenants that can't be negotiated. Best of success with your search.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
1776 S. Jackson St. #412
Denver CO 80210
Direct – 303-669-1246
http://www.theRobertMcGuire.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
Hello, The rental vacancy rate in the Denver area is extremely low. This is allowing landlords to be very picky on who they rent to. This may be why you are not seeing many rentals that allow cats. If you are able to buy a home at this time, that could work better for you. Interest rates are at all time lows and buying a home in Denver will usually have a lower payment than renting. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
J. David Lampe, REALTOR
Your Castle Real Estate
303.550.8563
websavvyrealestate.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012