Rental Basics in Brooklyn>Question Details

Bob, Renter in Indianapolis, IN

Renting in Brooklyn

Asked by Bob, Indianapolis, IN Sun Oct 28, 2012

I am moving to Brooklyn for work in a little over a month. I am looking for an affordable studio or on bedroom in williamsburg, bushwick, bed-stuy, or bay ridge. Looking to pay 750 a month or less.

Answers

4
Hi Jessica,

Since you are coming from out of town, I thought I'd add my two cents regarding your target neighborhoods. If you find that you will be getting home from work at later hours and walking back to your apartment alone, you may not feel as comfortable in areas that are more industrial and clear out at night such as Bushwick or Williamsburg. I would steer clear of Bed-Stuy. Bay Ridge is definitely the safest bet for a woman coming to the city for the first time. It is a family friendly neighborhood with residents who have been here for generations. I moved to Bay Ridge from downtown Brooklyn and have been here for the past five years. Best decision I could have made...

As for price point, it will be impossible to find a studio in any of these areas, especially Bay Ridge, for 750 or under. You should probably plan on spending at least $950 a month if you don't want a roommate, and that's not including electric, cable and gas. This minimum price would probably get you something very very tiny further away from public transit.

Good luck and enjoy the process - it will all work out!!
You're welcome, Jessica! ...I'm thinking Williamsburg may be the better bet for you and your budget...there's a large young crowd so it's much safer than it used to be, there are lots of eateries, bars, clubs and shops, and it's not a bad commute to midtown Manhattan. You can probably find better priced places there, too, compared to Bay Ridge. Bay Ridge is a longer commute to the city (midtown at least) and has a more quiet vibe (although there is no shortage of nightlife and things to do).
Once you move to Brooklyn you can do more exploring to find the right place for you.
Flag Mon Oct 29, 2012
Thank you! I really appreciate your response, not being from the area Ive tried to do as much research on the neighborhoods as I could but sometimes just hearing someone's opinion who actually lives there is what you need to hear! After doing more research I do realize my 750 budget is a little low. I can afford up to 900 I think so hopefully Ill keep looking and find something right if I cant find a roommate. Thanks again!
Flag Mon Oct 29, 2012
Hi Jessica, the realistic price range for a safe neighborhood, would most likely be in the Bayridge area. Anyway if you need some help in this neighborhood and can go up to a least $950 dollars, I can find you a studio. If you want to get a roomate and go higher in price range for a larger apartment, that is also possible. Please feel free to call me at any of my numbers. Thanks and Good Luck!! Johanna

Just-In Realty
Johanna Gyuro Lic. Real Estate Broker
(718) 513-0717
(917) 838-1937
justinre@optonline.net
Dear Jessica:

That may be a little difficult. Perhaps you can find a room mate and get a two bedroom for $1,500.00. Your best bet would be to contact some rental agents that work in each of those areas and ask them what is available. Be prepared to have your credit report ran and your income verified. If you are presently renting, you may also need a letter from your current landlord stating that you are a good tenant and pay the rent on time.

Although your plight is not impossible, it may me think of this song:
http://youtu.be/0HEW5bXqKbU

All kidding aside, if I can be of further assistance, please let me know. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2012
Good evening,

I have a lot of listings in the Areas your looking to relocate to. Feel free to Contact at my Email czacarias@rapidnyc.com. The sooner we start the better. Apartments go very fast.