Rental Basics in Seattle>Question Details

xcenys, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

Rented apt: our neighbor's window air con makes vibrations and noise through our 3 windows (at the same wall air con is) all day long. Any chance?

Asked by xcenys, Seattle, WA Thu Aug 16, 2012

Hello! We just moved in (less than 2 weeks ago) into apartment without central air con. Very soon we found that our neighbor have a window air con. As we have never lived in apt with no air con (we moved out from California and we were told it's not so hot in Seattle area) it took us almost 2 weeks to define what is vibrating and making a noise all day long (my husband is at work, I'm at home so I declare it switches on all day).
What should I do? Should I ask my neighbor and aware him of it myself? Should I ask our property management to help me? Actually we moved in choosing our apartment on-line throughout our community chain properties to avoid cancellation fee in our chain in California, so we didn't check it before moved-in (and I'm not sure we could define that problem at the moment), just asked several question to the property . Do I have any rights against my home vibrating and noise?
Thanks a lot for your time and advise!

Answers

3
my take is quite different...first i would check your lease (assume you have one) to see if there is a clause regarding what tenants can or cannot install...then, i might consider addressing the issue (in a polite way) with your neighbor & if that does not work, go to the property manager.. the weather here is not often this warm and most likely you will not run into the need for air conditioning often...

marcia h chase
leasing consultant/property manager
About the weather... It's actually cold outside at night and what I'm really afraid of is they intend to use air con all year around (as a climate control devise. We used central air con in California this way) , so the vibration would not stop in a weak or two... It's no listed in lease what exactly tenants can change about the apartment. There is a rule: we should confirm any changes with the management, but there is no list of approved or prohibited actions. That's why I asked about my rights...
Flag Thu Aug 16, 2012

Nothing worse than a bad airconditioner!
You do have rights to quiet enjoyment.
I would first contact the property manager. It is their job to deal with this.

Good luck and stay cool! :-)

Dave

Dave Reith
Coldwell Banker Danforth
"Over 25 years of Exceptional Real Estate Services"
206-947-6868
I feel for you! Noise intrusion can be very unpleasant, especially if the noise is constant. It's unlikely your neighbor will choose to swelter in a hot apartment. Even if your neighbor is otherwise very nice, I doubt they will agree to switch off the A/C.

You need to raise this issue with the landlord. There may be rules restricting the hours of use of the A/C unit? Or, perhaps the landlord can find you another apartment --on the cooler side of the building, maybe?

Here's a suggestion; it may be possible to add a rubber gasket or cushion to isolate the A/C unit from the metal window frame? (Don't expect your landlord or your neighbor to think of this. You may need to suggest this to both.)

Seattle isn't usually so hot. We're having record heat this week, but normally you don't need air conditioning running constantly.

Good luck with the landlord and your neighbor!