Clint, Renter in San Francisco, CA

Rental Prices - Advice for an international

Asked by Clint, San Francisco, CA Mon Feb 11, 2013

Hi, I'm an Aussie relocating to CA for work and need to find a place to rent in San Fran. I'm not so much interested in location but can somebody provide me with a ball park estimate for 1 bedroom apartment with kitchen/bathroom etc in an average suburb. I'm reading that the average is supposed to be around $1600-2000 per month but then I'm finding delicous looking furnished rentals for $200 per month? In Aus I'd be paying anywhere between $300-500 a week for an unfurnished place. Can someone shed some light. I'm confused.

Answers

2
First of all please know there have been a rash a scams when it comes the getting a rental. Don't send anyone any money. The scam is they get your deposit money, application fee, or any type of up front fees and then you never see them again. Okay?

There is no such thing as furnished rental for $200 a month. That wouldn't even get you half a garage with an ashtray.

San Francisco doesn't really have suburbs, there are neighborhoods that are less urban than others, but the suburbs are south, north, and east of the city proper. Just thought I'd fill you. Okay, mate?

You are in the ballpark for a 1 bedroom. Stretch it up to $2,500 and you could get a really nice place, but it sounds like you could make do within your range very well. Check out Craigs List or Trulia to check out rentals.

Say hi to my buddy, Bob, in Port Adelaide.
Thanks, mate lol. Yea I was suspicious to begin but there were so many of them I was thinking okay surely if there were one or two but theres pages and pages of them. I'll start the filters at $1600. Thanks for the insight and background
Flag Tue Feb 12, 2013
We have a lot of scams being foisted off on tenants. Be very careful of any opportunity that sounds "delicious". Never ever send any money to anyone till you've seen the place with the manager or owner.
If that isn't possible then work with one of the rental agencies like Wavro or contact Eric Baird at ReListo.
This area is almost as bad as the Nigerian Prince scams.
The prices you quoted are about what I'd expect.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA