Rental Basics in Boston>Question Details

Danny Bocane…,  in San Francisco, CA

Relocating out of college and in to being an adult.

Asked by Danny Bocanegra, San Francisco, CA Mon May 21, 2012

Hi there friendly experts!

I had the fortunate situation of being trapped in my college bubble and have been living Cambridge on campus housing the entire time. I'm becoming a big adult now with a real job and all that jazz.

I'd love to relocate in to an area where young up and coming professionals have a work hard play hard mentality.

What neighborhood would you recommend that would be good to build a network socially and have a good time with people my age.

Welcome to being an adult.

Neighborhoods I've always loved are backbay, beacon hill and the south end.

I moved here when I left the college bubble and between the networking and convenience of great bars, restaurants, activities and just the ease of being able to walk along scenic routes. Everything you could possibly want is here and I plan on never leaving.

The only potential downside is the cost of rent to living space relationship, however with so much to do in these area I'm usually only home to sleep so I don't need that large empty living room :)

Boston Luxury Residential
316 Newbury St
Boston MA 02115
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 20, 2013
Hi Danny,

I would say a lot of this really depends on your budget, where you work and the logistics of the commute. If you have a healthy amount to spend, 2500+for a one bed then the South End is amazing. That price backs a lot of people off of the area so I would consider South Boston, Davis Square and Jamaica Plain. All close to the heart of the city with good public transportation. Those areas are very popular amongst young professionals because they offer more of the lifestyle they are after at a more reasonable price.

Bobby Woofter
Web Reference:
Cambridge and Somerville are great

In Boston:

South End
Beacon HIll
South Boston
Back Bay

Web Reference:
Thanks Territory!
Flag Tue May 22, 2012
If You will be renting try, looking in South Boston where the rents are still quite reasonable. It's got easy bus access to downtown if you're working there and easy access to the highway if you're driving. It's got a great social scene along Broadway and it's hidden gem is it's waterfront promenade. You can just walk around the fort or jog the bigger circle or all the way to Dorchester along the waterfront path. If you plan to buy, that's a much different story and will be governed by what you can afford to pay. Please feel free to call me at 617-620-0669 or for rentals or sales.
James, I appreciate your detailed response! I'll be renting and choosing an agent from Trulia to do so after I visit that South Boston and other neighborhoods. Thank you!
Flag Tue May 22, 2012
Hello Danny,

Welcome to the workforce!
And fortunately you have many options as a 1st time Home Buyer (and future RE investor) while interest rates are still incredibly low and home prices remain steady (for now).

Many new professionals (including my Clients) are buying in the South End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill and throughout of Cambridge, including Kendal & Inman Squares. Southie has also been a popular option when looking for Condos on a fixed budget, yet with close proximity to the City.

Getting properly pre-qualified with a Lender is also very important and I’d be happy to forward a list of preferred Lenders & Mortgage Brokers to you.

Kind Regards,

Norman D. Hodson
Direct Line: 617-861-3630
Cellular: 617-818-2101
Direct Fax: 617-294-4396

607 Boylston Street, 5th floor, Boston, MA. 02116
Office: 617-542-0012 • Fax: 617-542-0016
Thats a pretty broad question. I think anywhere in the Boston Cambridge Somerville area will probably get you that. I cant imagine you are going to meet people solely on the neigborhood though. Pick some activities (sport,s music, theatre arts) you like and gravitate to groups that may host or arrage parties or groups based on similar needs. Get involved in local charities by volunteering or helping to raise funds.
Pretty good advice, noted Richard. Thank you!
Flag Tue May 22, 2012
My vote is for the North End!
Flag Tue May 22, 2012
Here are some ideas...
Jamaica Plain
South Waltham
Back Bay, if you can afford it
Davis Sq. area and Somerville in general - as close to Tufts as you can get.
I've heard Jamaica Plain is difficult in terms of public transportation to get anywhere near Downtown, thoughts? Is there much culture out there; music, movies, areas to work out outdoors bball/fields etc?

Thanks Masha!
Flag Tue May 22, 2012