Rental Basics in Chelsea>Question Details

davidwattsba…, Renter in New York, NY

RE: rentals. I'm seeing listings for large apartments in desirable neighborhoods - Chelsea, SoHo, East Village – for very low rents.

Asked by davidwattsbarton, New York, NY Mon Sep 24, 2012

What's this about I guess what I'm wondering is, are these scams? $700 for a 900 square foot apartment in SoHo is virtually impossible. What gives? Makes me wonder how well Trulia polices its listings.

Answers

7
Roberts’ answer
I have nice apartments in those areas but they are over $1000. If you would like to see them, please call me. My name is Rhea and I can be reached at 347-500-2479. Thank you and good luck.
I have the best Chelsea/East Village deals around
Please contact me
1(516)637-2024
you really need to work with an agent on this. Call me @ 917-608-9349.

Ella Chavers
Prudential Douglas Elliman
Beware! When you can't rent a studio for less than $1500 in most parts of Manhattan (and you can't), there would be no reason for landlord who was willing to part with a 900sf 1br for half that price (even if there was one out there!) to even post it on Trulia. It's possible there was a mis-typing when the listing was entered but in any case the unit likely doesn't exist.
I would approach with caution. If it;s to good to be true, well you know. These are the most desirable areas in the city. This is definitely a scam. Those areas are my territory. feel free to contact me any time.

Your apartment specialist,
Michael
Keep in mind that while for sale by owner posts are not allowed on the site, for rent by owner posts are; therefore some of the properties may not be listed by a broker, and could very well be scams. For scam related information see link http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/05/rentalscam.shtm
Yes, most likely they ARE scams.

If it seems too good to be true.........it isn't true!

If you are told some weird story about why the supposed owner can't meet you at the property (they are out of state, disabled, in the army..etc etc........ they can be creative)......if you get that kind of story, and they ask you to send money via Western Union, run in the opposite direction.

Craigslist, in particular, is full of those scammer ads
Thanks, Debra. I appreciate that. Lots to wade through...
Flag Mon Sep 24, 2012