Rental Basics in 01609>Question Details

Hen Niu, Renter in Massachusetts

Problems with my landlord...

Asked by Hen Niu, Massachusetts Fri Oct 7, 2011

I do not know too much laws about renting, today I checked online and find many problems, i am asking you experts whether it is against law and what should I do?
1) My landlord accept cash and make a discount for that, is it illegal?
2) He did not give us any witten note about the account number, bank name or amount of money about our deposit within 30 days.
3) We are trying to find new tenants and surrender the current apartment(that's why i checked some related information online). If he signed a new lease with new tenants the next month, can we get our last month's rent back since we already paid the last month when we signed the lease. Do we need to ask an agreement that saying he will give the last month's rent back on time?

Thank you for any help!

Answers

2
1. I don't believe this is legal
2. he is supposed to give you written notice of the security deposit
3. This will depend on what YOUR lease says. The typical/standard lease from the Real Estate Board says that you are responsible for the rent until the end of the lease period. The landlord is responsible for trying to find another tenant. You are responsible for any costs he incurs in trying to rerent it (realtor commissions, advertising costs etc). He is not allowed to collect double rent so if for example, you paid October rent and he finds someone for October 15, he owes you 1/2 months rent. Again, this depends on what it says in your agreement.

It would be helpful to consult an attorney unless you can come to a mutual agreement with your landlord.
Web Reference: http://www.sherriway.com
Hen,

Your best plan of action is to speak with an Attorney that specializes in Landlord/Tenant issues.

Joyce