Minki2011, Renter in Walnut Creek, CA

Payment for time period after old roommate moves out and new roommate moves in?

Asked by Minki2011, Walnut Creek, CA Fri May 18, 2012

My roommate and I share a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment under a month to month agreement. She texted me that she would be moving out last week on May 11. After speaking with our lanlord, I found out that she had given him written notice one day earlier on May 10 stating that June 9 is last day she will pay rent. I am now scrambling to get someone new into the room, which has become more difficult as she has never once cleaned either her room or the bathroom and there is mold on the walls and cat litter all over her closet floor. She told me she would clean both areas so that it was showable to prospective roommates, but she did not and I ended up having to clean up her bathroom vanity area after work to show it.
I have some good possible roommates, but they will not be able to move until one week and ther other 2 weeks after June 9. My question is: Can I use her $250 deposit to cover the costs of cleaning and the time period after she moves out and the new one can move in?

Answers

2
Security deposit is held by the landlord. I don't beleive that you can use her deposit to covr the costs of cleaning but you can discuss this issue to your landlord. Good luck to you. Emil (925) 408-6999, email:emil.huang@pruca.com). If you are interested in purchasing a home, please feel free to contact me. I can help you. Emil
You can use the $250 deposit for cleaning if she does not clean up the area by the time she vacates the property if the standard CAR contract was used. You should read the leasing contract to see how the landlord described the deposit and what it could be used for. It is highly unlikely you can use the deposit to subsidize the time between when she moves out and the other roommate can move in.