Tsm, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Paying rental broker fee in the event of an early termination

Asked by Tsm, San Francisco, CA Wed Sep 2, 2009

I am terminating a one-year lease in a San Francisco SOMA condo due to disputes with my roommate. My roommate, who co-signed with me is staying. I'm paying rent until a replacement is found. But there is a $1800 broker fee listed as lost income to the owner. Am I responsible for more than half, when my contract does not specify the protocol for one person leaving. And what if the broker had to do zero work to find a new tentant?

Answers

2
Doesn't sound like a breach to me.
If your roommate is staying and you are paying until a roommate is found, that should not trigger a broker fee for early termination under your lease. There is no breach or termination of the lease.

If the broker is charging to find the new roommate, that is a separate agreement between you and the broker. You can use any means you like to find a new roommate however and are not required to use the original broker.

Jeff Woo, Esq.
Complex Rental Property Group
Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold LLP
415-627-3607
jeff.woo@sdma.com