Rental Basics in Brooklyn>Question Details

Hannahcamille, Other/Just Looking in Dayton, OH

Paying for rent with student loans, no cosigner

Asked by Hannahcamille, Dayton, OH Fri Jul 6, 2012

I'm planning on moving to Brooklyn with two friends. Two of us will be attending grad school, and the other will be employed. The other woman attending grad school is being assisted by her parents, so I'm assuming they will co-sign as she won't be working full-time and would be unable to provide proof of income.

My situation is different. No one I know is financially stable enough to co-sign for me, but I'm paying my portion of the rent with student loans/money I've saved up. If I can prove I have this money in my savings, will we have any issue securing an apartment? I could even pay the landlord the rent in two, maybe one large payments over the year.

I'll have the money available immediately, which I can prove. I just don't know if they'll want employment verification or a co-signer when I can clearly pay my rent in one or two lump sums. I have good credit, by the way. And we're planning on renting by owner. And, would it make a difference for all of us if there was one co-signer?

Answers

3
Millie Fixler’s answer
hI i MAY HAVE SOMETHING PERFECT FOR YOU IT'S 2 BEDROOMS W UTIL INCLUDED E-MAIL ME @ darlinksue@yahoo.com or call my office @ 718-646-3600 i'll cakll you back Susan coldwell banker real estate
I am familiar with your situation and can offer a few solutions. I have a couple of student housing units in Brooklyn ready for occupancy August 2012. Give me a call at 718-496-9400 if you would like to discuss or schedule office appointment.
payment in advance is always a perk to landlords... just make sure the other cosigners and/or your roommates have good credit. Let me know what area & will happy to help.

Jack Menashe
917.797.0215
http://www.sherestates.com
jack@sherestates.com