Rental Basics in Boston>Question Details

Tom Kennedy, Renter in Boston, MA

Parking in South End

Asked by Tom Kennedy, Boston, MA Wed May 23, 2012

What's residential parking like in the South End? I've had some great responses here and think this is my kind of neighborhood, but I'd like to keep my car if possible.

Is it common to find rentals with garages? What about street / monthly parking?

Answers

4
You have 3 options here:
Street parking with a city permit, a free service from City Hall Downtown, and park where resident parking I available.
Rent a space somewhere near you. I told my clients to post a flyer near where they need parking: parking wanted.
Buy a space.
Parking rates vary according to where you reside in the SE.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
It depends on which part of the South End you are referring to. On the south side of Mass Ave, I would say its not that bad. On the other side? Bring your armor and prepare for a battle for the 1 spot available. Also, be sure to fill the tank as you will be going up and down each block waiting for the joy in seeing someone entering their car, hitting the reverse lights and pulling out.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
Rental spots are anywhere from $200 and up per month.
Flag Wed May 23, 2012
CH Answer is spot on. Great information as always!
Parking in the South End is not great. The neighborhood was not built with cars in mind and there are tons of restaurants in the area. There are also very few parking garages. Usually the best you can do is find a parking spot someone is renting privately behind a brownstone. Whenever you can avoid having a car in Boston, do.