Rental Basics in 85024>Question Details

luciafiguero…, Home Buyer in Phoenix, AZ

Our lease expires Aug 31st, so we signed the renewal a couple of days ago, the new one is eff Sept 1st... I want to modify it, can they penalize me?

Asked by luciafigueroa2003, Phoenix, AZ Sun Aug 11, 2013

Answers

5
I believe in communication being the key to a transaction. Contact your property manager or owner and discuss the desired changes. The contract can be amended if both parties agree. Also read the Landlord Tenant Act so you are aware of your rights as a tenant.

If you like the answer please respond that it is the best answered question or that you like the response. That helps me out. Thank you kindly.

Best wishes, Tiffany

http://www.azhousing.gov/ShowPage.aspx?ID=484&CID=11

Tiffany Carlson
Associate Broker
Realty One Group
Fax: 480-302-5885
tiffanycarlsonrealtor@gmail.com

Awarded one of the Top 40 Agent’s Under 40 in 2013

Your favorite Mother-Daughter REALTORS®!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 12, 2013
You should approach your landlord or property manager and ask for the changes that you want. If both parties are in agreement, you will sign an addendum to the lease that modifies the terms.
The lease you signed will be binding unless both tenant and landlord agree to a new lease or an addendum modifying the lease signed. Talk to your landlord. If request is reasonable and does not negatively affect the financial outcome for landlord, they will likely work with you. If you wanted a reduced rent, shorter lease or something else that might impact the landlord, they probably will not agree.

I have personally never seen a lease with penalties for modifications and I am not away of anything in the Landlord and Tenant Act that allows for penalties in this situation. The Landlord and Tenant Act can be found at http://www.azhousing.gov/ShowPage.aspx?ID=484&CID=11 .
oh, and this is a big apartment complex...
Flag Mon Aug 12, 2013
The renewal lease is effective September 1st, just yesterday I advised I might be buying a condo and wanted to switch to a month by month lease... so if I modify the lease I am technically not breaking it, the month by month is definitely higher than the regular rent BUT I won't be breaking the lease if we modify it beforehand... so they should not charge the 1500 for breaking it...right?
Flag Mon Aug 12, 2013
I would think that your landlord could penalize you if they wish. Also being said, I would think your landlord would want to keep your relationship in good standing. There is nothing like having an angry tenant in a rental.

As long as the changes do not compromise the condition of the property I don't see a reason why they wouldn't agree.
I would suggest you ask for an addendum generally unless there is a reason one party is set back monies or position items can be negotiated depending on your personal modifications.

I would say I errored and did not remember some term that was important to me rereading the lease I wish to ask for an addendum if all parties agree then there are no penalties generally

Good Luck

Gregory Suiter 602-410-3329
Homesmart Realtor

All referrals are handled with great care with nearly forty years of experience and negotiations in Corporate america up to 1 million dollars per transaction.