Rental Basics in 98115>Question Details

gaburcham, Renter in Seattle, WA

My roommate and I are looking for a rental house but she has 2 large dogs and my credit is not great. How should we approach potential renters?

Asked by gaburcham, Seattle, WA Mon May 7, 2012

We have 1 to 2 months to find a place....

Answers

5
Jeanmarie Trapp’s answer
With a smile, a letter of reference, and honesty about why your credits bad. For the most part nowadays, credit is less of an issue, as perhaps a criminal history check. The dogs could be your biggest issue, so prepare for a larger deposit, and renters insurance.. Good Luck..
My team may be able to help you. We work with tenants all the time to assist with leases. You can start your search here: http://www.searchseattle.net/rentals.php once you see something intriguing, click the inquiry button and let us know that you have dogs, size, and breed along with a note that you have credit issues....we can then make call to determine if it will work and if seller will work with us on accommodating your situation.

And if you register with an account and SAVE your search criteria the system will automatically notify you of NEW rentals as they come on the market by email.

Let us know if you have any questions and best of luck to you!
And FYI - there is absolutely no cost to use our services ;-)
Flag Mon May 7, 2012
Provide references including a letter from your current landloard.
Offer to double the deposit.
Offer to pay first and last.
Get a responsible co-signer.
Invite them to your current home to see how you live and how well behaved your dogs are.
landlord
Flag Mon May 7, 2012
You have a couple of 'challenges', namely the dogs and the credit issues. Have you made payments on-time where you currently rent? If so, I recommend asking your landlord for a letter of reference. A glowing letter from your current landlord will speak volumes to another landlord. Every landlord wants a responsible tenant, first and foremost. If you have a history of making your rent payments on time, I'm betting you can find a landlord that will be negotiable about the pets.

With all the facts up front. They will want to do a credit check before renting to you so tell them what the facts are so it isn't a surprise. Tell them about the dogs too. They'll find out. If you tell them up front you will not waste your time and money (doing credit checks) on people that won't rent to you.