Rental Basics in Los Angeles>Question Details

Lanette, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

My recent ex-roommate removed property from our home that was not her's while I was at work. What legal course can I take if any?

Asked by Lanette, Los Angeles, CA Sun Feb 19, 2012

She moved out almost 2 months ago but still had property at the house. She and I are both on the lease but the other roommate is not. He let her in the apartment to remove her things, but she took furniture that was both co-bought and singularly mine without him knowing it.

Help the community by answering this question:


Sounds like a case for Judge Judy in small claims court.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 19, 2012
Hi Lanette:

First, file a police report. Then take her to small claims court and attempt to recoup your losses.

Good luck!

All the best,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 26, 2012
Meredith pretty much covers it. Just recognize that if you file an insurance claim, the insurance company may want you to have filed a police report.

Your decision.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 19, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
You must make a dissolution of your current lease with her. Legally she has not moved out unless proper written notice has given and a new lease has been made. Also, re-key your place. Meanwhile, sue her for your stolen property. Seek legal counsel if necessary.

Have a blessed day,

Doug Perez
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 19, 2012
Dear Lanette:

Your two main options are:

1 File a claim against the ex-roommate for damages in Small Claims Court . In order to win a judgment, it is important that you bring to court a file documenting the facts, including photos of the items taken, receipts for their purchase, any co-bought ownership agreement, and affidavits to document that the property is yours.

2. Make a claim for property theft with your renter's insurance policy carrier and get reimbursed, less your deductible, for the value of the property taken.

Good Luck!

Meredith McKenzie
Associate Broker #01142186

Keller Williams Realty
1660 Hillhurst Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90027

626-344-9755 - C
323-300-1110- O
323-300-1001- F
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 19, 2012
Make a police report and depending on the value (if under $10,000) sue in small claims.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 19, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer