Rental Basics in 31093>Question Details

Fredrick Jon…, Renter in Warner Robins, GA

My question is if you are going through a realtor to rent a house from and you want to consult the actual owner is that possible?

Asked by Fredrick Jonson, Warner Robins, GA Tue May 22, 2012

Answers

13
I would recommend asking tyour Realtor to set up a meeting with you, the owner and your Realtor if there are specific questions you need answered in person. Your Realtor would help you document the discussion and it wouldn't become a "he said/she said" situation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
I completely agree with Mrs. Hardy! Excellent advice. Documentation is the most important factor in any real estate transaction; especially if you have an issue later on dealing with the home. Also, your Realtor may know of additional questions you need to ask based on your concerns.
Flag Mon Jul 9, 2012
All good advice from my colleagues! I'll just add that some owners hire real estate companies because they don't want to deal directly with tenants. So it's really up to the owner. Have you asked your agent?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
Hi, It depends on the type of agreement you have in place with your agent and also if the landlord is represented by an agent.

Chris
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
It'll be up to the home owner. Have your agent check with actual owner to see if she/he is willing to talk to you. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
If you have an agent, ask them and let them work for you. I am an investor who has rentals. Before I became a realtor, I used to use an agent to list my rentals for me because I didn't want to talk to prospects directly. I did my own managing, so ultimately I would meet with an approved client and then do the contracts, walk-through etc.

But in my experience, 20 prospective tenants may go through the home all wanting personal attention on home modification, credit questions, changes to my pet policy, changes to my acceptance criteria because they should be my case by case scenario, etc.... I didn't want to deal with all this time wasting, so I used an agent to work for me with the agent that was working for the tenant.

So if the owner has a property management company or a listing agent, they have contracted with someone to act as their agent and liason for a reason and may not be interested in entertaining your personal needs or questions directly.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
Let the Realtor be your liaison with the owner of the property. He or she will be your best source of information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
Of course it's possible. Maybe he will talk with you, maybe he won't. If your agent cannot address your questions and concerns himself, he is duty-bound to allow you to ask the owner directly. I can see this happening in a situation where the owner has only a few units to rent, maybe a part of his own residence. And not so likely with huge apartment complexes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
I am having a total investigation done on me. All I want to do is at-least rent the dream home if I can't own it. I so much want to talk to the owners. I do understand the purposes of the Real Estate companies, but can I meet the owners?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
I agree with Beverly, having someon there as a third party is extremely helpful.
Depending on the Real Estate company rules and the Owner's request, but with Cambridge Realty it should not be a problem to talk with our Owners.
It's doubtful the owner will want to speak with you, Fredrick, until a Lease is signed, and likely not even then unless he is collecting the rent and/or conducting the walk through. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.georgiamls.com/agentsite/index.cfm?SiteID=HAMMONDJOHNM

http://www.chapmanhallprofessionals.com
Whatever question you have should be directed to the Realtor, that's one of the advantages of having a Realtor.
The owner may have contracted a property management company to deal with all the showings, placing of tenants, and deal with repairs. Your best bet would be to ask the agent you are dealing with if you can speak to the owner.