Khadijah.lov…, Renter in Overland Park, KS

My lease is up in 8 months and need to find somethings bigger, when should I start looking for other places to rent/lease?

Asked by Khadijah.lovejohnson, Overland Park, KS Mon Jan 30, 2012

Answers

7
David Buckley’s answer
You should start your search today. That way you will know what is a good deal when it is time to buy. More importantly, with loan interest rates as low as they are, you may even want to consider breaking your lease and buy something sooner. Often times, owners will allow you to get out of your lease early becuase it's better for both the owner and leasee. If you want to talk about your options, call me today and I will help you find your dream home. There is no better time to buy than right now!

David Buckley
913-266-5897
http://www.SellingOverlandPark.com
This can be a truly tricky question. Alot of it depends on what time of year your lease expires. If it expires in the warmer months, I would get a 2 month head start on possible locations. When it's warm out, leases tend to pop up and get picked up alot quicker. If it's a slow rental month, like in the winter time, I would give myself a 4 week head start just to be careful.

Best of luck!
In the Overland Park, Johnson County, Kansas area you may be better off buying. Have you spoken to a lender? Most will give you an idea of how much and/or if you qualify to purchase over the phone. If you would like to talk more about it, feel free to give me a call at 913.661.8575. Carol Chartrand
It all depends on what you are looking for. If you would like to talk more about it, feel free to give me a call at 913.526.4341

Manal,
Typically 60-90 days unless the property and/or location you are looking for is of a more unique nature. If that's the case, you may want to allow more time. Have you considered the possibility of buying a home vs renting? Or even the option of a lease/purchase? I would be happy to assist you in the home buying process if you are interested.
I'd figure on a month. If you look too soon, the owners will not want to keep the property unrented while waiting for your lease to expire.
Depends on several factors. How much notice do you have to give your current landlord? What is the availability of rentals in your area? Scarce or plentiful? I usually tell my clients to start looking about 3 weeks before they have to give notice. Check with a Realtor in your area who does leases.