Rental Basics in Phoenix>Question Details

lplesotis, Renter in Phoenix, AZ

My landlord is charging me the Phoenix rental tax but he has not registered this property as a rental. I do not think he is actually paying the tax.

Asked by lplesotis, Phoenix, AZ Thu Aug 1, 2013

Answers

8
Jason Webb’s answer
Sean Heideman's answer might be misleading. Tenant must first provide notice to landlord per A.R.S. 33-1902 of the Landlord and Tenant Act. After proper notice and landlord's failure to comply, tenant may then elect to terminate lease.
If you wanted to push the issue you can go to the city and report him if you think that is the case. You might consider finding another place to rent if you don't feel your landlord is doing the right thing.
Registering the property as a rental and paying city sales tax are the owner's responsibility.
If the property is not registered with the county or City, then you can cancel your lease, according to the Arizona Landlord & Tenant Act.

Sean Heideman, Broker
Position Realty
Office: 480-213-5251
Fax: 866-232-2256
Web: http://www.PositionRealty.com
I agree with the agents response below. It is the owners responsibility to pay the tax. If they do not and they are caught they do owe back taxes for the amount they should have paid but did not. Best wishes, Tiffany
These are two separate items. Rental registration is not directly tied to landlord rental tax.

Is there anything other than the rental registration that makes you think the landlord is not paying tax? I would be surprised if landlord was collecting and not paying.

If the owner recently purchased the home, the rental registration may not be updated yet. If you want to report it as not registered, go to http://mcassessor.maricopa.gov/property/residential-rental-p… for more information.
That is the owner's responsibility to remit the tax amount to the city.