Rental Basics in Phoenix>Question Details

lplesotis, Renter in Phoenix, AZ

My landlord built an addition without a permit and it is in violation of building codes. What can I do? Grass is growing thru the floor.

Asked by lplesotis, Phoenix, AZ Thu Aug 1, 2013

Answers

5
In response to Rachel Shanahan comment.

Any addition most likely requires a permit before being built. If no permit, the owner may have issues and could face citations. Requirements may vary by city. Contact the City Planning and Development Department for more information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 2, 2013
You don't say where the room is located in proximity to the rest of the house, or state it's intended use and purpose. Some additions are never intended to be "liveable" as is the case with an Arizona room. If on the other hand, you have grass growing in your living room, bedrooms or kitchen - consult the AZ Landlord Tenant Act for relief of health, safety and habitability issues.
Have you discussed the issue with your landlord? Many times landlords are willing to work with a tenant to address concerns.

If the landlord is not maintaining a fit premise, you need to provide notice to the landlord in writing per landlord and tenant act. Refer to the landlord and tenant act for details. http://www.azhousing.gov/ShowPage.aspx?ID=484&CID=11

For further assistance, you may want to consult an attorney.
Sound like you have many problems, try to break your lease and find another place that fits your needs.
Thank you. My rental experience has been a nightmare. The owner/landlord is from Europe and seems to never understand my questions or complaints. The agent who did a courtesy lease for him also refuses to help. The additions were built on patio slabs and weeds are growing through the floor. There are issues with HVAC, fireplace, and mold. I was a homeowner who had to do a short sale that closed faster than I had planned. This rental property was listed by a realtor so I thought it was on the up and up. I am going to have to break the lease.
Flag Fri Aug 2, 2013
It seems like you have a lot of questions about your landlord!