Rental Basics in Chicago>Question Details

Trulia Chica…, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

My friend has documented every instance that she contacted the property manager with a problem. What is her next move?

Asked by Trulia Chicago, Chicago, IL Tue Oct 30, 2012

They still won’t repair the issues. She has reviewed her lease and found the address to the building management company. What does she do now to demand that her building issue is resolved?

Help the community by answering this question:


Some Tenant once they exhausted all their option like the ones listed below go to the next step. They create an Escrow Account with a Bank and start depositing their rent the full amount on time to the escrow account and they do this inconjuction with an attorney's help and usually the problem gets resolved...Then again there are others who just move to a more responsive Landlord....than again others get tired of Renting and buy a property for themselves and that way they do not need to deal with landlords any more!

Endre Barath,Jr
Prudential California
Beverly Hills, CA
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 7, 2012
1 - download a copy of the Tenant / Landlord rights ordinance off the City's website. It spells out specific guidelines and requirements to be in compliance for such matters. Follow the rules, stop paying your rent and see how quickly things get fixed.
If you don't want to move and have the stomach to do research, write letters and fight, then its a worthwhile option.
2 - Hire an attorney to handle it for you
3 - Move, there are many ways to legally terminate your lease and be able to move out. Do it right though, otherwise the landlord's collection agency may haunt you
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 31, 2012
No need to hire an attorney. Here are two great community organizations that can help you for FREE:

Metropoltan Tenants Organization:

Illinois Tenants Union:

Lawyer's Committee for Better Housing:

Good Luck and let me know if your problems get resolved.

Rusty A. Payton, Broker
iMove Chicago
5650 N Broadway
Chicago, Illinois 60660

773-961-8819 [Office]
773-289-0806 [Fax]
773-682-5210 [Mobile]


1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
I suggest to write (return receipt) to the management company, explaining
what happened, asking to help resolve the issues. Before you write though, check out
a Tenant/Landlord ordinance/law in your area/state (know what to ask).

Great suggestions below - worth looking into them!

Best of luck!

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 7, 2012
I have used this organization in the past with tremendous success:

Illinois Tenants Union:

They do charge and I believe it's 1/2 your rent.

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 1, 2012
Arrange a meeting at the management company location and deliver the documented issues in person.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 31, 2012
James Schultz 773 680 7426 tenant attorney
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
Attorney time.... get a good one as well. One who specializes in landlord/tenant issues.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Group Founder

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Locally Known, Globally Recognized"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
What are the issues?

Erik Sachs
RpV Realty LLC
Cell 773/368-5515
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
She can contact a lawyer. That would be her next move.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
move out.. you will loose
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012

Sorry, your answer is too short. A minimum of 25 characters is needed.

Move to a different building that is managedbya different management company. Ask around at work and wherever you go, which management companies are the better ones, and which are the scum. You use your contacts to find out the important things in life. They are happy to help as you are to help them.

Just like you aske this group, but not too many people answer here. Better to ask people you know who have to live with what they tell you. However, here in this groups you get seasoned renters and peole int he business. Using both groups of contacts, and any more you hve, like people at church, etc., you will get a good idea of good buidlings with good managemt to live in. Go for the highrises but watch out right now. Find out how many apartmets are in financial trouble. Learn to hang out in teh basement of City Hall, the property tax records, after you get the PIN number upstairs somewhere to accedss the property records - COMPLETE
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
Read the Landlrd.Tenant Ordinace from the city o chicago and see if her issues apply. Contact the boss of the person you are getting no response from.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
She needs to go directly to the building management company. And she needs to review the Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance. If the specific issue she is dealing with is covered there, she can see what her remedies are for that situation, and she can bring that to the attention of both the property manager and the building management. I'm happy to send this to her and to assist if needed.

Cindy Wilson
Koenig & Strey
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
Move on to contact the management company, ask to speak to the superior of her property manager, and explain her issue.
It is hard to give any more advice without much more information about the specific problem she wants addressed.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer