Rental Basics in Brooklyn>Question Details

Matt McGrath,  in Briarwood, Queens, NY

My current lease ends 8/31/13 and I am looking to move. How soon should I start researching my new apartment?

Asked by Matt McGrath, Briarwood, Queens, NY Sat Jun 8, 2013

What is the best way to find a reputable broker to help me?

Answers

6
Hi Matt, it would be best to start to search for an apartment 2 months prior to your anticipated move-in date.

If you are looking in the area of Dyker, Bensonhurst, Bath Beach or Bay Ridge I would be able to help you.

Denise DeLeo
Ben Bay Realty
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Hello Denise, do you have a contact e-mail thanks.
Flag Sun Jun 9, 2013
You should start looking 4-6 weeks before your move out date so you look around see what's out there for your budget. As far a finding a good agent you should look online for companies in your living area and check with ones have good reviews and go from there.
You can begin researching areas of interest now. Ask people you may know for agent referrals, or contact and interview a few agents from different realty companies, then choose the one you like best.
You should start looking as soon as you need and are able to. Take your time and look for what you need and can afford. Don't be pressed by the end of your lease. You have many option available to you depending on the size of the building you live in. If you live in a one family to five family home the landlord does not have to renew your lease but must serve you with a thirty notice of termination of your lease. After the 30 day notice the landlord may not collect any rent until you go before the judge and set up a time schedule for you to move. What they may not tell you that by law you are given a six month period to find an apartment and move. It is strongly advised that you never sign a Final Judgment, this may limit your future stipulations but you will still have your 6 months. During this period you will be considered a month to month tenant. You will have to pay your rent while you occupy the apartment and Never agree to a rent increase while you looking.
If you live in a building with six or more apartments, then your landlord is required by law to renew you lease. You get to leave when you want as long as you pay your rent. Good Luck George
7/31

Luke Constantino
Commercial/Residential
Keller Williams Real Estate
9120 4th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209
Office: (718) 954 8400
Direct: (212) 300-3919
lukeconstantino@gmail.com
Some listings may be available 9/1 but not likely. Usually would let July pass or at least be almost over before looking