Ana, Renter in Scottsdale, AZ

Moving to USA/AZ - what documents do I need?

Asked by Ana, Scottsdale, AZ Tue Sep 24, 2013

My fiance and I are moving to Arizona from New Zealand in early December. He has a job at ASU for the next two years, and we plan to rent a 1-2 bd townhouse/condo in either the South Scottsdale or Tempe areas.
We have rented together in the same house for the last four years in New Zealand. What kind of documents/references will we need to secure a rental property in Arizona? Would a written reference from our property manager and/or landlord be useful? Thanks in advance, Ana

Answers

5
I would recommend having:
1) Offer letter from ASU stating job and income
2) Passport for identification
3) Open a local bank account in US - be willing to provide proof of funds
4) A letter from your current landlord in New Zealand would also be good indicating rental history. Alternatively, a bank statement showing rental payments for last year.

If you would like to see listings of available homes - just contact me. I would be happy to help you. Your timing is great - the weather is fantastic!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 24, 2013
Yes, this would be useful. You should expect to complete an application to rent the home and provide proof of your monthly income. Good luck with your move to Arizona!
I don't handle rentals anymore, but I did in the past. "YES", definitely bring the written reference from your previous property manager and landlord.

You might want to get an Arizona identification card from the Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/ although they may take your Student ID from ASU.

Also become familiar with the Arizona Landlord Tenant Act as it is your guideline to your rights as a tenant: http://www.azhousing.gov/azcms/uploads/publications/Landlord…

Welcome to Arizona, Scottsdale, Tempe and ASU.
Ana - It's very likely your husband's employer has a relocation service and may require him to use it for your first home in Arizona. They may offer you on-campus housing. Get all the info you can about their assistance programs and if you are free to choose a local real estate agent, there are many who serve in this region.

My team, Tri Freedom Real Estate Partners, has its office in Tempe and I live in Scottsdale. Every licensed agent can show you the same properties. Find someone or a team you feel comfortable working with.

Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale and the surrounding areas are modern cities, so you can live many miles away and easily get to ASU, although it will take more time with the traffic. You can contact government resources to answer questions about any aspect of the communities around ASU. We will help you discover what you find suitable.

It is not unusual to meet with agents and have a discussion before looking at properties. Be sure to ask any questions - we are in the business of finding answers for people who want homes!

Remember, December is our cooler season in Phoenix! The nearest shoreline is a 4-hour drive to Mexico. The terrain may look brown and barren compared to your homeland, but there are many, many kinds of plants and animals that call the desert home.
Ana, thank you for the detailed inquiry. Sounds like you have some exciting lifestyle changes ahead. I'd be more than glad to assist you with any rental needs you have as I am trained and experienced in assisting first-time renters in our city and local areas. Due to the time difference, I feel emailing would be the easiest communication route, so please contact me at Grant.Olsen@pruAZ.com and I'll begin explaining to you the necessary paperwork that will help you attain a wonderful temporary residence for the few years you'll be calling Arizona home.

Grant Olsen
Prudential Arizona Properties
InvestAZsunshine.com
480-800-9635
thank you to support these to us,this forum is useful to us http://www.rctophobby.com/rc-helicopters.html
Flag Fri Sep 27, 2013