Rental Basics in New York>Question Details

Jennifer Fod…, Renter in Staten Island, NY

Moving into condo pending board approval?

Asked by Jennifer Fodor, Staten Island, NY Wed Dec 19, 2012

I am currently awaiting board approval for a townhouse in NYC, on Staten Island. The management already approved us, the owner is saying we can move in January 1st either way. I am not 100% comfortable doing this. Does this seem like something that I could do?

Answers

7
Jennifer Fodor’s answer
Hi there,
Yes I am renting directly through the condo owner, and I did use a broker. The lease was signed on December 6th and submitted to management and the board. I am going tonight to pick up keys and pay the broker fee and first months (January) rent...
There are a great many players in the process.

1. There's the person who owns the property. You evidently were succesful in striking an acceptable agreement with them.

2. There's the Managing Agent who processes your application and sends it onward to the condo board for their approval.

3. The condo board must issue a "waiver" of their right of first refusal before you are actually legally cleared to move-in. Any accomodation the owner gives you can be offset by the condo board. Let's say you move your property in on the say-so of the owner, you will have to move it out if the board does not issue the waiver. Although it's likely that the board will issue the waiver, there are a myriad of reasons that they may not, so you are taking a risk by moving in before the waiver is granted.
Hi Jennifer. You say you're awaiting approval for a Condo but your question is under the Rental Basics section. I believe you're renting someone else's Condo apartment, yes? It that is so, and you've not signed a lease, that would be a red flag. Did you use a broker? an Attorney? Did you go it alone? There's something missing here but there is time to press for a lease which protects you both. Good luck.
management already approved us...landlord called me today and said she spoke to someone on the board and they said it was fine for us to move in...
you cannot do anythning without approval from the management company and board. You can check with managment about this.
Discuss with your attorney, he/she can better advise....
Hi, Typically attorneys don't approve or advise this either because it's not technically yours until all closing paperwork is signed. Any attorney that would allow this may draw up a "hold harmless" agreement, inquire with your attorney.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023