Rental Basics in Los Angeles>Question Details

Meeches Peac…, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

Meech Lynn, Renter, Los Angeles, CA Would a landlord typically require a pet deposit if you have a corn snake?

Asked by Meeches Peaches, Los Angeles, CA Thu Jun 28, 2012

Answers

7
Douglas Perez (213) 200-7114’s answer
Yes, It is legal for landlord to whether accept pets in the property. And, yes, it is legal for landlord to require pet security deposit if pet is welcome to the property.
But, it is something you have to negotiate with and convince your landlord in reference to the pros and cons with your specific pet.
Besides guiding dogs for the blinds, there are tenants who claim to have a dog prescribed by their physicians for distressing from their medical conditions; they must provide medical proof though.
As a property manager I would Google corn snake to learn more about it, which I did resulting in...

"Corn snakes are found throughout the southeastern and central United States. Their docile nature, reluctance to bite, moderate adult size 3.9–6.0 feet (1.2–1.8 m), attractive pattern, and comparatively simple care make them popular pet snakes". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_snake

With that information, I would decide if I would allow that pet. I would probably require that the tenant gets renters insurance to cover any liability if the snake were to bite.

In this particular case, I would not require a pet deposit because I am not worried about the corn snake doing any damage to the unit considering it would be living in a confined environment or waterless tank.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 28, 2012
Yes, yes indeed, Jessica! When I was younger our dog who "didn't bite" attacked a neighborhood kid and the insurance company paid the $75K (she required extensive reconstructive surgery, pain and suffering, etc.) settlement. No telling what your nice, gentle wonderful animal might do to maim someone. Thank you so much.
Flag Thu Jun 28, 2012
For snakes, it might not only be a deposit but insurance as well. Make sure you find a renters policy with a pet incident rider, in case that thing does crawl out and bite someone or eat another tenant's hamster. It happened to us in a building we use to manage that had 6 units and the python got out and ate the tenants cat. Needless to say after the distraught tenant called every single person she could to try and sue us, the owner, and the city for allowing it to be there, we had to pay $1000 restitution and from that point on, our owner banned ALL PETS. Its a building/owner by building/owner thing. Snakes are common, but always, protect yourself with incident insurance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2012
I would expect a good explanation for why that pet required a similar deposit to a dog, otherwise that's not the type of landlord I'd want to deal with. I understand what damage a dog can do to a residence, I've never had a snake that had an effect on anything beyond the substrate in his vivarium. That would tell me all I need to know about a landlord. Thanks.
Most likely Yes. As mentioned in the previous post, full disclosure would be best . Even for dogs and cats, some landlords want full stats; weight, breed and names etc.
A pet is a pet and landlords have the right to ask for a deposit, however deposit amounts may vary on the type of pet. I would suggest having the conversation about the pet up front so that there are no surprises.
It's a common practice so you'll have to inquire with each landlord about the rental policies.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com