Rental Basics in Slidell>Question Details

Amybloyd, Renter in Alexandria, VA

Looking to rent a home in a different state--is there such a thing as an agent for renting?

Asked by Amybloyd, Alexandria, VA Wed Jan 15, 2014

Hi, I'm moving to the New Orleans area for work, planning to move in the first week of June. I've been talking with work contacts in the area and doing lots of online searches and will be heading to the area to check out rentals in late March or early April (should I wait longer?). I know when I bought a house years ago, we had a buyer's agent help us find a place. Is there such a thing as an agent for someone looking to rent a house? If so, how do you find one?

Answers

4
Using a real estate agent is a great way to go if you want to rent a home in New Orleans. Most landlords here however do not rent their places more than 30 days prior to the move-in date and June is going to be a very tough time to find a rental here.

I advise working with an agent AND keeping an eye on Craigslist. When you see something that will work, don't hesitate in giving an application and putting down your deposit. Prepare to spend at least $1 per square foot and $2 per square foot in higher demand areas.

Finally, don't rent a place sight unseen. There is a LOT of variation in the quality of the rentals here so you'll want to see the place for yourself. Also keep in mind that the laws are not tenant friendly here so if the apartment/house you see looks neglected, don't expect that the landlord is suddenly going to start fixing stuff when you move in. You won't have any rights for getting repairs made, your deposit will be on the line and you will be on the hook for the term of the lease you sign.

Finally, think about buying, rather than renting in this tough rental market. There are many people who do well by purchasing a "double" and offset their payments with the rental income they receive on the rental half. If you have the stomach for being a landlord, you will end up paying 1/2 what you'd pay for rent AND you'll save money on your taxes while contributing to your overall wealth. Late March or April would be a great time to being searching for a home to buy but beware, the real estate market is heating up.

I hope that helped.

Kelli Bristol
504-952-5628
KelliBristol@yahoo.com
Licensed Real Estate Broker
Some Realtor will also help with leases, but normally our leases are more of the higher end properties. I recommend you call a few local Realtors for guidance.
Yes of course. I work with buyers and tenants. Contact me to discuss further.
I look forward to helping you.

Tanesha Royal
Realty Executives
Email: royaltrealestate@gmail.com
Cell: (504) 382-3324
Many agents handle leases as well. March would probably be too early as single family homes in my area go very quickly (the north shore communities of Mandeville, Covington, madisonville).

I'd recommend touring the area when you visit so that you can decide where you want to focus your search (Northshore, uptown, Westbank, mid city, Metairie, Kenner, etc). Then you can connect with an agent who keeps up with leasing inventory in you preferred area.
I agree with Katherine above, visit the area and narrow down where you want to reside. Since single family homes for lease don't linger on the market for long, it is best to put in your application towards end of May. Yes, there are quiete a few realtors who handle leases.
Flag Wed Jan 15, 2014