Rental Basics in Exeter>Question Details

Bubbles09, Home Seller in Exeter, NH

Live in NH - let mother-in-law live in my mobile home at cost. She paid park rent and mortgage in my name. Did not try to make any money off her.

Asked by Bubbles09, Exeter, NH Sat Oct 3, 2009

She does not pay taxes or insurance. Claiming I gave her the property. Now I am trying to sell it and she is refuses to let the realtor in to show prospective buyers. Can she put a lien on my property? On what basis. Thank You.

Answers

3
Ken Lambert’s answer
Hello Bubbles- I don't think she would have any legal standing to file a lien on the property. On what grounds could she file a lien? Is there anything in writing which shows that you owe HER money, for something that relates to the property? I don't think so....

I'm not an attorney either- just my 2 cents. If you want to speak with a local NH attorney, please let me know and I can recommend a few I work with regularly. Thanks, and good luck,

Ken L.
You really are going to need to check with a Real Estate Attorney as there are many variables. First and foremost what do you have in writing. Hopfully you have a rental agreement or lease, no matter what price you rented it at, you should have something in writing that states what you are responsible for and what she was responsible for. I think that it is in your name shows you "did not give it to her". You wil perhaps need to evict her before any showings can begin, her not letting people in is not as nearly as bad if she does let someone in and talks trash about the home and you loising a potential buyer. A good listing agent as well should be able to assist you with your problem. Good luck in working things out.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
This is more of a legal matter than a real estate issue. You would be better off asking that question of an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 3, 2009